The Big W

Options
Water! Water! Water! I am having trouble drinking my 8 glassesa day anyone have any ideas that could help me?

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much else besides water now, but I used to never drink water and remember how hard it was to get into the habit. My suggestion is to drink it with a straw (I get the colorful, bendy kind). I drink about twice as much of anything if I use a straw.
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I agree with the straw suggestion-- you could also try adding lemon juice or something like crystal light or mio to the water.
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think 99% of us have the same trouble. I don't usually manage 8 glasses a day myself. Try lemon slices or the Great Value individual packets of flavors - I like the Grape. Good luck.
  • momontherun92
    Options
    I keep some of the individual packets of crystal light on hand. Sometimes it's hard for me to just drink plain water, so I love being able to add a zero calorie flavor to it. I also drink more water when I exercise because my body craves it. Getting all your water can take time, at first you have to almost force yourself to do it. But when you become accustomed to it, it's going to be easy to get it all in.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I never drank much water either, but now I get at least 10 cups a day. When I fist switched I would add a lemon or lime wedge to it. I also use a 32 oz bottle and take it with me everywhere that way I know that I need to drink 2 of them every day.
  • vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I use a pitcher and filll it with my 8 glasses every morning....it helps me see how much I have drank. Once you see yourself drink it all one day you feel good, then after a second day you feel better until you feel great about it and by then it's a habit. I add in fresh lemon or lime slices to flavor it. Ive also heard that adding in lemon juice can help with weight loss plateaus.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I drink 8-12 glass a day. I had to force myself at first but it is no problem now that I cut out all soda's and caffeine.
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    def some crystal light but dont rely on it. make yourself alternate glasses of pure water with crystal light or some other low/no calorie option
  • XanHummel
    XanHummel Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree. I use a straw all the time while getting my water intake and it really helps. I can't do it without the straw just yet.
  • dancer720
    dancer720 Posts: 6
    Options
    this is probably a dumb question but why is it important to drink so much water in the first place??
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I posted the same thing a while back, and while I tried all the suggestions I received, I still only manage about 4 a day. BUT, that is probably 3 more than I ever used to, lol.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I use Crystal Light or something similar, but dilute it. Instead of one packet per 16 oz, I use one per 32 oz. I typically drink 12-16 8oz servings a day that way.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I never drink really cold water as my teeth are sensitive. When I first started watching my weight I used to just drink a whole glass all in one go (just to get it over and done with) but only ever tap water (at room temperature). Now I can easily drink a pint in one sitting without thinking about it. The suggestions here about using a straw may help as well.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Buy flavoured still water....
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    One cup every hour or so...from a pitcher that's always on your desk, or from a large water bottle you carry everywhere with you. I drink 8-12 a day, have done for years, by making sure it's always handy. I stop drinking after 8. I hate getting up in the night.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I use Crystal Light or something similar, but dilute it. Instead of one packet per 16 oz, I use one per 32 oz. I typically drink 12-16 8oz servings a day that way.

What a good idea! Saves money that way too! I'm going to try it!

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    your body is made up of alot of water.....when you lose fluids like sweat or even when you urinate you are losing water.....in order to replenish what your body is losing on a daily basis you have to drink water...it keeps your body at a homeostatic level, which means that your body is able to work at proper levels and keeps everything within your body within healthy limits, and it just allows for optimal body use and energy everyday...... 8 oz. is the MINIMUM one can drink.....you can drink more, as long as you are not becoming bloated or retaining too much fluid
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Drink tea, also keep a full water bottle with you at all times. If you always have water around you, you will grab it when your thirsty. I don't buy soda, but when I do drink it, it makes me thirsty for it. I have always had water, and may even be drinking too much, but having a water bottle around that I can grab when I'm thirsty makes it easy to get my 8 cups a day. Also, you don't need 8 cups a day if the food you eat is full of water, only if you are sweating alot, is what my doctor told me. I still drink more then 8. Juices, teas, and even soda still count for water, but they don't have the benefit of water, which is no calories.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Start very early in the day. I drink a lot when working out, at least 3-4 cups. Always keep a cold water bottle around. Water tastes better the colder it is. I try to quit drinking by 8 or I am up and down all night. I really don't drink anything else but water and I don't miss it.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My suggestions: Buy a big water bottle (I LOVE my 32-ounce Nalgene) and make sure to drink it entirely at least twice. And stop buying sodas, juices, and milk (other than for cooking or cereal if you eat it). I rarely drink anything but water because I don't keep any other drinks in the fridge.