Gluten free

Options
Hello everyone! Just joined my fitness pal and just found out I'm gluten intolerant. If you have any do's and dont's, please share. Limited sugar and weight loss friendly!! Xoxo

Replies

• becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hello! My best tip would be to try and stick to foods that are naturally gluten free rather then buying a gluten free 'version of' as these can quite often have a high amount of sugar / other nasties and are expensive!! Good luck!
  • aliciaford2001
    aliciaford2001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have gluten allergy and it's better to stick with the meat and vegetables. It's cheaper
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can make your own gluten free flours with different blends of ground nuts etc which I have had some luck with . I would agree with the gluten free products available being higher in sugar and a variety of strange chemicals- I also personally find the gums used in lots of these products have a very negative impact on my stomach also, which is quite common and worth knowing while you try and adapt to your new way of eating! You can get gluten free rice pasta though which is one of the only subs that I use. Good luck you are going to feel so much better!
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I started out on a wheat free diet in the early 90s when it was discovered I had an alergy to wheat. they had NO products back then! all teh specialty flours they have now were realy expensive and hard to find. Things are so much better now :) I agree with the statments about looking for natural gluten free foods and dont be afraid to try alternative grains like quinoa and amaranth. They are great and healthier.
  • mem0403
    mem0403 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The only alternatives I really get are pasta bread and oats. I have tried all sorts of pasta corn, quinoa, rice and the blends are usually best. Barilla makes a gluten free pasta and it is pretty good. Everything else I eat is just naturally gluten free. Corn tortillas, beans, rice, quinoa.