Weightlifters Shoulder / AC joint Rehab & Lift Questions

Options
Seem to have early, mild weightlifters shoulder. Still lifting on Leg & Pull days but Push Day is pretty limited. Looking for feedback on work around lifts for chest and feedback on rehab results. Thanks.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I had sub acromial decompression on both of mine. Too much sitting on the computer at work coupled with a type 2-3 shape. Some of the things I was told after surgery as "good shoulder hygiene":

Do most of you pressing with dumbbells
    push ups (really work on extending at the top)
    landmine press as opposed to shoulder press.
    Work the upper back, face pulls, band pull aparts, etc

If you haven't check out Eric Cressey, lots of good free content on his site:

http://ericcressey.com/

Long time trainer, known as a shoulder guy. Works with many MLB players up and down the east coast.

Good luck.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    PackerJohn,
    Excellent link!! Thanks for the suggested exercises too.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. If you're talking shoulder's, Cressey's stuff is dynamite.

• 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    4 weeks later I get my scans. Universal healthcare is good but if you live in the sticks and it's non emergency it can take awhile to get done. So results came back as follows.

1. Degenerative changes shoulder & AC joint
    2. Bicipital tenosynovitis
    3. Mild tendonosis subscaplularis
    4. Calcific tendonosis infraspinatus
    5. Subdeltoid bursitis

Guess that explains the discomfort. I was wise enough to stop upper body lifting and start physio shortly after original post. Hopefully the meds will calm the inflammation and rehab will get me back on the gain train ;-)