First week, 2250 calories over?!

Options
I recommitted to losing weight, and I'm in a state of shock - yesterday Friday, I went 2250 calories over on the day. The day. You might ask how... My budget is 1430 and let's just say an afternoon work stressor got the best of me with a carrot cake and then a social situation at night involving wine and pizza. Needless to say I feel like a total dummy.

What do you guys do when this happens? I was thinking about 7 straight days of a 5K jog to burn it off. Is that a bad idea?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. It won't even be 3 days worth of your usual calories to make up for it. In my experience, trying to make up for it just sets you up to fail again... You might get hurt exercising too much, or eat so little than you binge again.. it's just not healthy.

Your goal has a deficit built in. You'll make up for it just fine just sticking to it.

• AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    So you're like 320 over a day if you stick to the deficit every other day and you average the calories.. Chalk it up as a bad day and get back on the wagon, no need to overdo it to try and burn them off. It's going to happen and you'll be better next week. Plus, that's not even a pound worth of calories ;)
  • carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Use it as a reminder of how easy it is to lose track. Keep moving forward. Don't punish yourself just be more aware. If this is what you really want, in 30 days, yesterday won't matter. I went over for a few days in a row this week but in my end game, it'll be a wash.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It is, in fact, only 3/5 of a pound. You deal with it by saying to yourself, "Welp, I'm not going to do that every day!" and immediately returning to your program. Compensating by jogging an extra 5K for a week sounds like a bad idea; are you going to punish your body every time you eat something "bad" or the scale doesn't say what you want it to?

"Men are disturbed not by things, but by the view which they take of them." -- Epictetus

If your automatic thoughts are getting in the way of sticking to your program or moving on when something like this happens, look into Beck Diet Solutions:

http://www.beckdietsolution.com
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    It is, in fact, only 3/5 of a pound. You deal with it by saying to yourself, "Welp, I'm not going to do that every day!" and immediately returning to your program. Compensating by jogging an extra 5K for a week sounds like a bad idea; are you going to punish your body every time you eat something "bad" or the scale doesn't say what you want it to?

This. Just realize that you may or may not lose weight this week and get back to the plan. You're still on track. No damage done.
  • FitAndHard
    FitAndHard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great exercise and burns calories fast.
  • Kareesdiet
    Kareesdiet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You guys are all amazing! I read all your replies because going over happens to all of us. It helped me realize it's ok if that happens every so often. I'm not a bad person and life goes on. I k ow this wasn't my post originally but you all really helped me as well!!!
  • TheRiceLord
    TheRiceLord Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do what I do. Everyday when I burn off calories I add it up. For example im on a 700 calorie deficit. Day, I will post day 1 700 calories burned total. For day 2, I'll put day 2 1400 calies burned total. Lets day day 3 i overeat by 500 calories. Then I'll put day 3 900 calories burned total. 3500 calories is roughly a pound, 35000 calories is 10 lbs, and 70000 calories is 20 lbslbs. This motivates me so much when im about to cheat, and i see how many calories I have burned total. It makes me change my mind and eat healthy, so I can say that I burned 700 more calories! Good luck. Feel free to add me if you need any help/motivation.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on, and learn from it. I try to follow my calorie trends over the week, instead of each individual day....5/7 days I'm under anyways, so if I happen to eat a bit more on Saturday or Sunday, I tend not to be as disappointed. (The couple of times I've been way over, just seeing the crazy spike was enough to remind me to be more mindful the NEXT time I wanted that item or meal again!)