Looking for a little help

Options
I know the decision rest solely on me, but I'm asking as many people as possible to just a consensus. I'm not what you would call decisive. So lets take this all the way back to senior year of high school, I was about a month out from graduating and I had no Idea what i wanted to do with my life. Honestly I still don't. As graduation was approaching I felt the need to choose a path to follow as everyone else pretty much knew what they wanted. I choose criminal justice, the main reason being i thought i might like it and hey it looks cool on TV. I eventually received an associated degree in police science and for the most part I enjoyed my schooling. Another think I think I should mention is that one of my best friends was going through this experience with me. When I graduated college I thought about to use my degree for. All the way through college and after I thought about being a cop and where better to go than the State Police. I went through the testing procedure with my best friend 3 times each time making it farther. About three years ago I took a job as a Corrections Officer where I am currently and enjoy the work. About a year ago I stared the testing process over again for the SP, my thinking was I haven't really made it that far so Ill give it one last go. About six months after that my friend that Ive been going through this with unexpectedly passed away. Ever since then I have been second guessing if this is the path I want to take and wondering if this is really the job for me. My heart has never truly been 100% in this, but then again i don't think there is anything ive ever done where i have been 100% in it. I just don't know anymore. Sorry for the long post, I just have so much stuff running through my mind. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    First, I am sorry about your friend. I can't imagine a loss like that. As far as deciding what you want for the rest of your life, if this isn't it, I think you need to find what is. What are you passionate about and what do you enjoy doing? If you find something that you love that you can turn into a career, you'll never work a day in your life. It is not to say it will be a quick process, but if you can start working toward it, baby steps will still get you to where you want to go. I just figured out what I wanted to do at 30 and it took the next 4 years to go back to school and finish a degree I had started a decade earlier so it is never too late to change your mind.
  • woody2288
    woody2288 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'm glad you what you wanted to do. I like my job now, I'm familiar with it I get along with everyone but it's not something I'd say I'm passionate about. I don't deal well with change and I wonder if maybe that is holding me back or if I truly don't feel I'm right for the job.
  • carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't do change well myself. It is also out of my comfort zone to do things on my own. I actually made that kind of a goal for the year and so far it has really paid off. Truly, you don't have to make a decision today and do it today, just make sure over time you move toward what you want. Kind of the same thing we are all doing here with weight loss. If something was easy, everyone would do it.
  • woody2288
    Options
    Appreciate the advice, I know I have to break out of my comfort zone but it's so damn hard haha
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry for your loss. I know in times of grief we have a tendency to reflect on our own lives & question the meaning of it all. This is a time of transformation for you and I think you should feed your curiosity.

Think about your childhood & what you loved to do as a kid. Talk to family members & old friends & ask them for their insight. Take some career personality tests online that match you to your ideal profession. Notice any similarities? There's an old book that's still relevant called "what color is your parachute?"

Then, Consider signing up for some continuing education courses at your local community college in fields that may interest you. This will give you tons of resources & networking to support your life change. My CC actually offers courses to help people find new careers. You will see your not alone in this courageous endeavor. And you will have counsellors that will assist you & hold your hand through the whole process.
    If classrooms freak you out you can always do an online course. Or hire a life coach to help you.

If $ is tight you can just start by putting the energy out there & asking the universe. ( be very specific with your words & intention b/c it has a tendency to take you quite literally!). Start doing things differently! Start researching for yourself, start meditating, start praying, start sharing your story (so many of my friends found careers simply by chatting to someone at a party!). & start looking for the signs.

Also keep in mind that most people don't Love their jobs! Theres a funny quote "go to school for what you love to do & you'll never work a day in your life, because no one will be hiring when you get out!" ;) We work so we CAN afford to do the things we Love. Value your free time & spend it with the people you Love and doing the things you Love. And know at the end of it all things have a way of working themselves out. Good luck!
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

It's not clear how old you are but I'm guessing youngish. You don't have to choose a career for "the rest of your life." That puts so much pressure on you to get it right...or you risk misery or other horrible things. Give yourself permission to take the NEXT step in your life. Go ahead and pursue the SP job and see if it's what you want to do for the next period of your life. If once you get there it's not what you thought, figure out your next step.

• woody2288
    Options
    Thanks for replied, I'm 27 btw :/