How can I motivate my gf to lose weight and tone up?

Options
She isn't really fat (yet), but she has gained some weight and lost all her muscle tone during winter due to laziness. First time in life she has belly now. She complains about it almost constantly but doesn't do anything to fix it. No diet, no exercise.How to get from words to action?

Replies

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    This has to be trolling.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    OP you don't. She has to want to do it for herself, though you can demonstrate your own commitment to health and fitness by ensuring your are fit and healthy yourself.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    How can I motivate my gf to lose weight and tone up?

You ... don't.
  • msanitaml
    msanitaml Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Be a role model doing you self and worry about your self snd if she sees how serious you are sell follow but if she don't oh well... You can't change a person you
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You don't. If she wants to do something about it, she will. Otherwise you just have to listen to her complain about it. End of story.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You don't. And if you don't like her that way, do her a favor and just break up.
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I disagree with almost everyone on the thread..

Exept for msanitmal.. Start a routine, tell her you enjoy doing it and you'd like her company.. Make it a couple thing.

But DON'T tell her she's getting chunky, & lazy..

Chances are she already knows anyway
  • jmm1977
    jmm1977 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The best way to motivate her is by finding opportunities that you can do TOGETHER - walks, eating healthier, etc.! You can't make her change, she has got to want it herself! She also has to know that no matter what, you still love her the way she is!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You're going to get *kitten* slapped trying...
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm so thankful for my husband who encourages me. He never once has ever critiqued my body and always makes me feel beautiful. However, yes when I've complained about my troubled spots, he doesn't agree with me but says, lets work out together and we can both keep each other accountable as he also needed to lose weight. I've gone from 168 to 147 and he does compliment me a lot but he always did. I do look much smaller now compared to where I was. I'm around 5'6 so my bmi is healthy now. Still want to lose more. So...my advice? Pray for her! That's what I asked my hubby to do for me and he did. Prayer works. She may also start to want to if she sees you taking good care of yourself as well. For my hubby and me, we get competitive lol!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No awesome points for OP :/
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP, this thread would go much better for you here if you were the wife trying to get her husband to improve his health.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    How bout you start cooking healthy meals for the 2 of you & do the dishes by yourself afterwards while your at it. Take her hiking, learn to play tennis together or pickle ball, join a kickball league or grab a frisbee & head to the park. She may want to be doing healthy things but is compromising to spend quality time with you!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Get her to put on her running shoes, take her outside, hand her your phone and get her to check out this thread (and the other one you started) about how she is lazy and fat, and then run away as fast as you can.

She should burn at least 3000 calories smashing up your phone, chasing you down, and then kicking the *kitten* out of you.

Okay, that was simply great :lol:
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    And yeah, on a serious note, you can't force someone else to change. I think it's fair game, though, to try to find a sport or physical activity you both enjoy and can do together. Many people hate "exercise" but love sports.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I read here all the time that there's no fast way to drop weight. How wrong that is. All your girlfriend needs to do is dump you. Instant weight loss.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Motivation is pretty much a false hope anyway. I am not always motivated to lose weight, but what I am doing is making habits that I stick with to the best of my ability.
    When she complains about it does she say she wants to do something about it? If so, ask her if you can do anything to help and then stick to it.
    Weight loss has to come from the person needing to lose weight. People outside can be supporters or sabotagers or non-factors, but they can't actually make someone lose or gain weight. The best you can do is help make it easier on her when she actually wants it for herself.
    Just be supportive of her whatever she does, she is probably judging herself far more harshly than anyone else ever will. Help her feel good about herself.