Sugar?

Options
Hey guys, I have a question (that probably has an obvious answer, but I'll ask anyways). Does anybody know of a cereal that's high in fiber/grains/generally nutritious and low in sugar? I've noticed that the kind I use (fiber one raisin clusters) has a ton of sugar in it, and I find that I'm at my limit at breakfast time! Not good! Any suggestions?

Replies

• enlarsh
    enlarsh Posts: 67
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean cereals are a good choice. Loaded with fiber and protein.
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Plain ole Cheerios...100 calories per cup, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams protein and only 1 gram sugar. So many of the "healthy" cereals have so much sugar. I looked at a lot of labels last week when I got tired of eggs for breakfast. The one Kashi I tried tasted nasty but I don't remember which one it was. I'll never try it again. So, went with the childhood classic.
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Be careful reading labels. Sugar is a natural part of some of the grains and fruits in cereal. Don't just read the nutritional info. Always read the ingredients. If you see sugar in ingredients, that means sugar was added to it. If you don't, it means that the cereal has natural sugars in it - those are not that bad. If the cereal, for example, has fruits in it, it will have fructose - a natural occurring sugar. Grains have starches that your body converts into glucose - another sugar. That's why we call them carbohydrates - they are sugars. Just look for the ingredient list and avoid sugar on the list. The nutritional label may list sugars that are naturals and not been added.
  • emholmgren
    emholmgren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's some cereal guidlines I was given by a nutrionist:
    Calories: 80-120 calories/serving. If cereal is 200-300 calories/cup it’s too high.
    Fiber: 3+ grams is ideal
    Sugar: Keep less than 6 grams a serving. That probably has minimal added sugars

Her recommended brands:
    Kashi (My favorite is the go lean crunch with banana sliced on top)
    Ezekial
    Nature's Path
    Quaker's Crunchy Corn Bran
    Post Shredded Wheat
    Chex (Rice, corn, or wheat)
    REGULAR Fiber One (You're right... usually added "clusters" or fruit tends to be high in sugar)
    Regular Total
    Regular Wheaties
    Regular Fiber One
    Cheerios
    Kix
    Weetabix
  • cuerpito
    Options
    I thought I'd share a simple example: SKIM MILK will have 12g of sugar listed on the nutritional label. That doesn't mean there was any sugar added to that milk. Milk has a natural sugar called "lactose", that's where the 12g come from. It's still a healthy choice because it's a natural occurring sugar, and not added sugar. So, remember to read the ingredient list.
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try mixing 1/2 plain Cheerios and 1/2 Shredded Wheat and Bran Squares. The Squares have 8 g fiber (7 insouluable and 1 soluable). Plus a serving of the Squares yields less than 1 gram of sugar. Like others, I add my own fresh fruit or just a packet of Truvia for sweetness.
  • lovelilavender
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys!
    So when MFP counts sugars for the day, I noticed it's just sugar in general. It doesn't deal with the "added" sugars or "natural" sugars. So if I notice that my sugar intake is above what's recommended, is it ok if those sugars were natural instead of added?
  • cuerpito
    Options
    Absolutely ok. You CAN'T avoid natural sugars. You would have to avoid dairy, grains, fruits, etc. They are good for you. What you want to avoid is added sugar - again, check the ingredient list. Avoid sugar and high fructose corn syrup on the ingredient list - that's what matters. If MFP doesn't separate those two, just don't look at the number because you won't be able to avoid sugars. Lean to shop for and buy products without ADDED sugar and you won't have to worry.
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ok. You CAN'T avoid natural sugars. You would have to avoid dairy, grains, fruits, etc. They are good for you. What you want to avoid is added sugar - again, check the ingredient list. Avoid sugar and high fructose corn syrup on the ingredient list - that's what matters. If MFP doesn't separate those two, just don't look at the number because you won't be able to avoid sugars. Lean to shop for and buy products without ADDED sugar and you won't have to worry.

Actually, I disagree with this. It depends on what you are avoiding sugar for. Yes naturally occuring is better than added, but, sugar is sugar. If you are trying to watch it for a health reason such as a diabetic, it still needs to be monitored and counted.
  • cuerpito
    Options
    Exactly! that's an "edit" I wanted to add. If you have severe diabetes and your doctor told you to limit your sugar intake, then look at the sugars in general - that's why many diabetic can't eat many fruits, pastas, etc. (my mom is one). Then, you also need to learn about the glycemic index of all sugars, etc. But for general dieting purposes, look for the added sugar.
  • lovelilavender
    Options
    Great! Thank you so much for the help! I am not, thankfully, diabetic. So I won't count my sugars on MFP anymore. I feel as though I'm stressing out way too much about it >< I'll just keep my eyes out for added and natural sugars. Thanks again!
  • cuerpito
    Options
    That's exactly it. Don't stress out if you don't have to. Best of luck to you!!!
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've reall started watching my sugar consumption, natural and added...in may I was 490 grams over my recommended intake...this month, I'm only over by 20. So far I'm having my best month ever. Its all about making healthy choices and while Sugar is natural in some products, its still sugar. I'd try to stick as close to possible with what MFP recommends...its done wonders for myself. Best of luck to you
  • tpark952
    tpark952 Posts: 4
    Options
    I like Fiber One mini wheats...they are a great breakfast and a great afternoon snack!

Also before getting involved with my fitness pal I did a lifestyle change called Healthy Lifestyles. It was a 6 week program that was covered by my work but it open to the public. It had a video every week on different things. One thing they really pointed out was to slow down and taste your food. If you chew your food slower your brain reacts much faster to knowing you are full. Also...they made us cut out any dairy products (unless you were cooking with them) and any sugar besides natural. Another factor they pointed out was to eat some peanuts or peanut butter with your fruit so you get your protein which helps break down what you are putting in your body.

It was a great program just fell back into my old ways when I was done...
  • MOMSHOME
    MOMSHOME Posts: 72
    Options
    Cheerios are fantastic. They taste good and are great for you.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Some of the other Fiber One flavors - like the original - have less sugar. Cheerios are good. I'd check labels at the store.