HELP!!!!!!!

Options
I am so sick of eating salads and subway subs!!! I have looked up many different things that i would "like" to have, but WAY too high in calories. Anyone have any suggestions outside salads and subs that i can eat that wont kill my intake for the rest of the day???

Replies

• stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just love the roasted chickens from the deli.
    And green beans with anything are great low calorie sides. Vegetable only soup is filling.
    I am fortunate to be an avid cookbook reader (read them like novels).
    Check out you library for Hungry Girl books (funny & low-cal.) and the weightwatcher cookbooks are good.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Besides a salad bar last night, I can't tell you the last time I had a salad. There are tons of healthy recipe websites out there, as I'm sure others will list for me. Also check out the recipes section on here for a ton of ideas. Lastly, I love my crock pot as I have never made a recipe with it that was over 350 calories, and most are in the 200 range.

Some tips:
    - cut down your portion size. You can get full on less and thus less calories.
    - healthy substitutes.
    - at least a glass of water with meals
    - increase you protein and fiber content so that you will stay full longer.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    If your target is 1230 Calories, you can eat lots of veggies and fruit too. Bread, like from subway is what may being taking a toll on your calories for the day. Try the "No Whites Diet" which is no processed sugar, processed flour, or starches. Those are not very filling and are heavy on calories. Instead, fruits, veggies, protein, is what are good to focus on, with some whole grain foods. (Whole grains has to be the first ingredient for it to be real whole grain, some company's will try to fool you)

1230, sounds a little low for someone who has a big family. Playing with kids will give you lots of extra net calories a day. It is important to figure out your net calories a day, you'll be able to eat more, and you'll lose more, because you may be under 1200 a day, which would put your body into survival mode and make it much harder to lose weight and keep it off.

Remember, nothing fried, No Whites, and lots of fruits and veggies to fill you up if your still feeling hungry after a meal. (on a side note, wait 15 minutes after you eat, it takes that long for the stomach to tell the brain it's full.)

In the past couple days I've had Whole Wheat spaghetti, chicken strips (it is easy to find the ones that aren't heavy in calories), eggs and turkey sausage, popcorn, eggos, nuts (really filling and better then chips), turkey dogs, and lots of chicken (but i don't eat red meat)

there is alot of good research online that tells about healthy foods, but for your calorie count, FYI, i almost never count most of my veggies I eat, unless they are high calorie or made with sauces and such.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Baked fish (you can even make a very tasty homemade breading without whopper cals our carbs) with a nice little parsley potato and spinach. Homemade, baked chicken tenders (my son calls it "epic chicken"), again, homemade breading, with home baked cajun fries and steamed veggies. Tacos made in stuff and stand shells with home spices and lean turkey burger, with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and fresh picante, with black beans and fresh corn on the side. Dreamfields pasta with red sauce and parmesan/romano. Tuna melt with tuna packed in water, olive oil mayonnaise, a slice of cheddar, on Sara Lee delightful multigrain bread with steamed green beans and corn on the cob. A blt made with peppered bacon, Sara Lee Deligbtful bread, lettuce and tomato, with the low fat olive oil mayonnaise, with steamed broccoli and homemade oven fries. I could go on and on. Because I'm diabetic, all of these are under 50 carbs a meal, and most of these meals are well below 600 cals (and can be tweaked to less than that). No salt in the breadings or added to the foods, pretty low fat, and varied enough to prevent boredom.

Kris

Edited to say that my potato servings are small, veggie portions large. I also have salads with light dressings, and I try to steer clear of most frozen/processed foods because the sodium and carbs tend to be insane. However, Barber Foods makes a wonderful stuffed chicken breast that's only 250 calories and 11 or so carbs that is marvelous with steamed broccoli.
  • Rheagansmom
    Rheagansmom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Papa john's thing crust peperoni and mushroom no cheese pizza- 240 cals a slice.
    Lean cuisine Pizzas- 300-350 a pizza
    Healthy choice country herb chicken meal- 270 calories
    Tuna Salad made with light mayo:

These are some of my go to items.
  • Shanz78
    Shanz78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i steam veges in a wok and when there soft i stir fry them in a little bit of low cal sause. or i at things to salads like fruit, seeds, cottage cheese, or beans. oh also i make fruit smothies all this stuff is really good and filling. hope this is helpful:)
  • True_angel4ever
    Options
    TY ALL for your help...i will try something new! Dont know how much longer i can eat salads and subs LOL
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    try skinnytaste.com. I heard about it in the forums. There are some really yummy sounding recipes.

I like to make wraps instead of sandwiches. You can get some pretty tasty whole wheat or low fat tortillas. That helps cut the cals you would get with bread.

There are also tons of cookbooks out there. Good luck shaking it up!
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    chicken, eggs, 95/5 ground me, pork, turkey, etc... Also, there is a chance you might not be eating enough.
  • misste
    misste Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like to grill out in the summer....boneless skinless chicken breast...can add a fruit based salsa like mango, or citrus to change it up a bit....and i do a lot of broiled fish with dry spices...tilapia's only 90 calories for a pretty good portion.....and I do a lot of veggie omelettes with egg beaters....and if you're into fast food with the kids.....try the grilled chicken at KFC....it's really good and not so bad and the green beans are awesome