Stretch Marks

Options
Hey all.

I don't know how else to say it so I am going to be blunt. I hate my Strech marks. I hate that my stomach looks like I have had kids but I haven't. It kills me inside to see these scars on my body that I caused by my lack of control. I hate these lines that run accross my gut. I cannot believe that I allowed myself to eat to the point that my body is now scarred. As I lose more and more weight I can't help but worry. I am terrified that my skin is going to carry these marks forever. I know that when I have children these marks will come back, but those stretch marks are far different from the scars of overeating.

I guess what I am trying to ask amongst this post of self pity is for those who have already lost significant weight...do the marks go away at all?? Will I be able to wear a bikini when I get to my goal weight without my fat scars ruining it?? Will I ever be able to show off my body once it is toned up or will I forever live in the shame constantly reminded of my failures??

Replies

• appy_chick
    appy_chick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Let me add real quick...I know they won't go away 100%, but will they atleast be smaller or less noticeable?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Mine are faded quite a bit. I don't know how noticeable they are to other people, because to me they stick out like a sore thumb (granted I know that I am more focused on them then others). In pictures though it can appear as though I have none if the lighting is right.
    odgud4rc7pn9.jpg
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I get horrible purple ones, they have all faded to silver now so there is hope!!
  • appy_chick
    appy_chick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Horray!! There is hope!!
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is based on genetics. They can fade somewhat, and for some they're practically gone, but only time will tell for that. I have pretty bad stretch marks on my breasts and stomach, but luckily they have faded in appearance over the years. There are products out there that claim they'll reduce them but I have no experience with them and am not 100% sure they do what they claim.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to be too hard on yourself. I've noticed that if I focus too much on the future I get really overwhelmed and down on myself because I'm not where I want to be right this moment. Or because I'm so unsure of what's going to pan out in the future.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    They fade in color, but they will always be there. If you can't deal with them now, you probably won't be able to deal with them later, unless you're the type of person who feels more confident being thinner.
  • AmandaJuneFit
    AmandaJuneFit Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When i weighed 217 one day i looked at myself naked and saw all the marks i was getting and it seemed they got worse every day but YES they do fade ! Im down 27 pounds and then went from a bold ugly red to a faded pink . some are even one shade lighter then my skin so yes they are noticeable but i am doing my best to make them not as noticeable. I also rub coconut oil on them from time to time.
  • TanishaMoore613
    TanishaMoore613 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up so much! It might just be genetic so your skin is prone to them. I have had stretch marks since I was 10! And they are on my thighs, breasts, sides and continuously wrapping up my entire back, and shoulders! Which majority came from puberty( some from weight gain) There are things like derma-rolling, Shea butter, and laser surgery that can greatly improve them but honestly time works best. They will fade and the harder you work for your health and the body you want, they start to not matter. I wear bikinis and crop tops and no one notices including me and even so I don't care. Once you hit your goals they won't be as big a deal.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks can fade, but if it's really bothering you there are laser procedures that can remove them, and that's pretty much the only thing you can do that can remove them. Lotions and creams may help prevent them if you were diligent in applying it while you were getting bigger, but not after the fact. I have stretch marks from growing as a kid, and also have them something terrible on my breasts and have found that they are not very noticeable unless I am actively looking for them.

I have had a C02 fraxil laser procedure done on my face a few years ago to eliminate sun damage, and if the procedure for stretch marks is remotely similar, it's not for the faint of heart. I would seriously consider general anesthesia, especially for a large sensitive area like your stomach. Healing wasn't very pleasant either. As much as I loath the stretch marks on my boobs, there is no way I could tolerate having that area lasered, and I have a pretty high pain threshold and frequently get other laser procedures performed on my face and neck.

I am just giving more detail as to laser procedures as the topic of stretch marks comes up frequently, and I haven't really seen insight regarding laser procedures for them, and the pain is very real and should be considered if contemplating a medical procedure to remedy stretch marks.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yep - they will never go away.. they do fade to silvery lines but will always be visible. They can shrink somewhat when you lose weight - depends how much you need to lose. If it's an awful lot and you end up with a lot of excess skin then the marks will still be more obvious than say if they were against a flat toned surface.
    However, many people who have lost weight would still take the stretchmarks over the fat. They are only stretchmarks...almost everyone (females mostly) has them whether they are overweight, been pregnant or just from growth spurts when younger.
    There are laser procedures I have seen for stretchmarks, and they are supposed to improve/flatten them.. but if you actually want to get rid of them forever you would need surgery and have them cut away.. then youre left with a scar. You would have to choose the lesser of the 2 evils.. some people do prefer 1 scar if their stretchmarks are really bad.

I would also like to point out though that people never look at you as closely as you look at yourself, and they don't scrutinise every part of your body the way you would do.
    When you're wearing your bikini one day just remember that what you're focusing on (stretchmarks) is very unlikely to be what everyone else will be focusing on when they look at you!x