Substitutes for Vegetables

Options
(Just for reference I am 5'1 and 115 lbs and I would like to lose 10 lbs in, at the most, a couple of months)
I'm having a hard time losing weight and that's because every meal all I eat is carbs. Obviously because I like them but more so because I can't eat any raw vegetables (which sucks b/c I love salads) and no wheat products due to my Crohn's disease. (And actually no leafy greens at all, cooked or raw). That seems to eliminate a lot of healthy weight loss options. Can you help me figure out what I should be eating that would be just as healthy as a salad or wheat products but wouldn't hurt my stomach?

Replies

• bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What vegetable can you eat? Can you eat any veg as long as it is cooked?

Easier to help you if we know what you can eat, rather than what you cannot.

• fahmeenshaikh
    fahmeenshaikh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would say anything that's not too fibrous. So potatoes, carrots, zucchini, etc. And those I can only eat cooked. Raw is just too harsh for my stomach. Things like spinach, kale and any other leafy greens are out completely.
  • ZoeyWyn
    ZoeyWyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love eating stuffed squash! I put things like quinoa, died fruit, and nuts inside acorn or butternut squash...sometimes I top it with goat cheese.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Rice, potatoes in place of wheat. Nothing wrong with cooked vegetables - some are actually MORE nutritious when cooked. As you said, carrots, zucchini are fine. How about things like avocado, asparagus, beets, sweet peppers, pumpkin, winter squash, tomato sauce, or sweet potatoes?
  • fahmeenshaikh
    Options
    I would like try to incorporate rice into my meals but are potatoes and rice fattening? And also what about pasta? I've gotten mixed answers on the internet for those. Haven't figured out if they are or not. Will they make me gain weight? Avocado is great! I eat it often. Tomato sauce is fine as well. Asparagus I can eat once in a while but not too often. Haven't tried the other ones yet but I'll try and see if those work for me!
  • geneticsteacher
    Options
    Rice and potatoes within your calorie limits are fine. There are some wheat free pastas, mainly corn or rice, that are not too bad. Again, learn what a serving size of any of these is, log it, and make sure it fits in your calories for the day.
  • Lalu54
    Lalu54 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nothing will make you gain weight if eaten in moderation!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are already at a healthy weight, and losing weight will be difficult/slow because you don't have a lot of excess energy stored. You are not going to lose 10 pounds of fat in two months.

You will lose weight if you take in fewer calories than you burn - how many of your total calories you take in in the form of carbs, does not matter.

If you can't eat raw vegetables, or wheat, or leafy vegetables, don't eat that. You still have endless possibilities for building a healthy diet:

Cooked/steamed/baked/mashed vegetables that are not leafy: Starchy vegetables: corn, potato, sweet potato/yams, eddos, jicama. Root vegetables: carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, celeriac, beets. Flowers/buds: Broccoli, cauliflower, romanesco. What about onion, garlic, peppers, squash, pumpkin, asparagus, mushrooms? Legumes: Peas, beans, lentils, edamame (soy beans). Fruits, berries. Nuts and seeds. Other grains than wheat: Oats, barley, corn, rice, rye, millet, buckwheat. Eggs, dairy, fish, shellfish, meat. Butter, oils.
  • fahmeenshaikh
    Options
    This discussion helped a lot actually. Gave me some ideas! Thank you everyone for your help!
  • geneticsteacher
    Options
    Be cautious with the broccoli, cauliflower, beans, etc. Many of these cause a Crohn's flare in some people. Test with small amounts first. Nuts, seeds, and corn hulls are usually contraindicated if you have Crohn's.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You are already at a healthy weight, and losing weight will be difficult/slow because you don't have a lot of excess energy stored. You are not going to lose 10 pounds of fat in two months.

^This. It is very hard just chemically for your body to mobilize and metabolize fat tissue compared to your lean mass. This is even true for very obese people. And you are not obese. So if you set an agressively low calorie target in order to drop weight very fast, you might drop that weight but very very little of it will be fat: you will be destroying more of your body's healthy lean mass.
  • geneticsteacher
    Options
    ccfa.org/resources/diet-and-nutrition.html

The link above discusses Crohn's disease and diet/nutrition.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Can you eat asparagus and brussels sprouts?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    eat cooked vegetables...
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I also have a limited number of veggies I can eat due to allergies and intolerances. I find it's easiest to write out a list of what I *can* eat, keeps the focus positive rather than focusing on what can't be eaten. Some of the Paleo Autoimmune Proocol websites have great veggie lists to build your personalized list off of.
  • fahmeenshaikh
    Options
    Be cautious with the broccoli, cauliflower, beans, etc. Many of these cause a Crohn's flare in some people. Test with small amounts first. Nuts, seeds, and corn hulls are usually contraindicated if you have Crohn's.

Yeah corn is a no no for me. Been scared to try nuts and seeds but I might as well just go for it and see how I fare.
  • fahmeenshaikh
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    eat cooked vegetables...

Thanks for that really detailed and insightful response! So helpful!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    (Just for reference I am 5'1 and 115 lbs and I would like to lose 10 lbs in, at the most, a couple of months)
    I'm having a hard time losing weight and that's because every meal all I eat is carbs. Obviously because I like them but more so because I can't eat any raw vegetables (which sucks b/c I love salads) and no wheat products due to my Crohn's disease. (And actually no leafy greens at all, cooked or raw). That seems to eliminate a lot of healthy weight loss options. Can you help me figure out what I should be eating that would be just as healthy as a salad or wheat products but wouldn't hurt my stomach?

You are not losing weight when you dont eat at a deficit ( less calories in than you burn)

So you can eat everything except for the ones you have a medical issue with ( in your case vegetables)
    And it will be a slow process because you are already at a healthy weight

But... create a deficit and you will lose weight... with all carbs or not.

I eat all carbs or high carbs and i lost weight just fine 130 lbs in total till now.

Good luck you can do it too!
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you can get a veggie spiralizer, zucchini noodles "zoodles" and pasta sauce would be awesome. Add some meat to the sauce or just cut up some chicken on top.

I also love beans. They're pretty filling and low calorie. Since you can do tomato sauce, cooked veggies and beans, could you make your own chili?

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

You're having trouble losing weight because of your total calories; the carbs are irrelevant. Have you tried eating smaller portions of what you're currently eating? Do that for a month or two, see how that goes.