1 day to rest

Options
is it really necessary?

Replies

• hannahjoanne2011
    Options
    yes its neccessary to hav a rest day to let ur muscles mend as wen u exercise ur muscles tear to make new muscle to u need to rest for this to heal itself otherwise u will hav damage in the long run but if u dnt like to rest try sumthing that is light and not too vigorous
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I workout in some form everyday.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to take any rest days, you should at least have an "easy" day and go for a slow walk or leisurely swim. Your body needs recovery time to realize the full benefits of strength training and cardio on the other days.

Getting adequate sleep every night is also needed for proper recovery.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If your workouts are generally intense, then yes, I really believe that a rest day is necessary.

But I don't do as I say sometimes, haha!!

If I feel like I CAN'T take a rest day, I just make sure that I do something lighter, like yoga or simple weights.
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to skip a day, you should at least work different body parts so that the muscle groups have time to recuperate.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I agree with SALLYH and TROMARON.

Do you mean a rest day as in doing no form of exercise, or a rest day inbetween [say you work your biceps and triceps on Monday, should you wait until Wednesday?] Yes, if you are working your muscles hard, there are fine tears that happen. Then your body mends the tears creating new muscle. This process requires time for your body to heal itself [i.e., rest]

I workout rather vigorously 6x per week. On my day "off" I might walk at the beach, go for a walk n talk with a friend [generally slower], you could bike ride, etc. Some people prefer to be active every day. I have become that way. But I make sure I am not using the same body part every day. One exception: many feel it's ok to work your abs every day. And while I do do that, I mix up the exercises.

Proper nutrition and sleep are very important too, especially if you are putting high demand on your body. I tend to believe our bodies will give us signals if we are beginning to overuse/abuse it. Aches and pains beyond soreness, difficulties falling asleep and staying asleep, and feeling tired all the time might be a sign you could use a change. Also, I know some folks who are so proud of themselves for sticking to a low cal diet, yet those calories are not mainly nutritive. 1200 calories of cupcakes, high fat meats, etc. will not give your body what it needs to perform.

:flowerforyou: