Need help finding reasonable meals.

Options
I don't have health insurance, can't see a doctor, live in a Republican run state so of course they aren't expanding medicare.

I don't suffer from high blood sugar. I never get it, never have that issue. Instead I get low blood sugar.

What I need are cheap, affordable, and not disgusting meals. I'm autistic, so salads are hard for me because of the texture, I don't like 90% of dressings and I'm not about to go out and sample them until I find something I like, so Salad is kinda out of the question. I can't stand celery.

I need some sort of help finding reasonably healthy meals that I can make. Or should I just eat normal, but portion out the calories? I need cheap, bearable meals that I can lose weight on. I've just always been overweight. ALWAYS. In a high chair falling asleep in cake and spaghetti kind of overweight. As a result i have a big appetite. What makes most people feel satisfied, leaves me feeling hungry for more.

Replies

• jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Try starting out with your normal foods but eat a bit less . Log what you eat for a week or so first without any changes then have a look and see what you can reduce a bit.
    Some people who like volumes of food to feel full start their meals with a low calorie soup and reduce the size of their normal foods .
    Salads are not required to lose weight , eating less food and calories than your body needs is .veggies can be cooked in soups ect and frozen to reheat later , veggies can be roasted , grilled , boiled .. Eat them the way you like them.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Change your settings to lose one pound a week. Eat normal and portion out the calories.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Try starting out with your normal foods but eat a bit less . Log what you eat for a week or so first without any changes then have a look and see what you can reduce a bit.
    Some people who like volumes of food to feel full start their meals with a low calorie soup and reduce the size of their normal foods .
    Salads are not required to lose weight , eating less food and calories than your body needs is .veggies can be cooked in soups ect and frozen to reheat later , veggies can be roasted , grilled , boiled .. Eat them the way you like them.

You do not need to eat salad but vegetables are your best bet to add volume while staying low calorie. Also make sure you have a balance of carbohydrates, protein and fat (MACRO nutrients) in each meal. This is what keeps me full.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    What do you like to eat? Can you cook? I incorporate a lot of lentils and beans with vegetables and create soups or stews. I also like to roast a whole chicken and then use up some for slicked chicken on a sandwich or mixed in my soup, tacos etc. I'm really liking lentil soup. I found some spice mixtures that pack a lot of flavor and add in sauteed onion/garlic/ginger. Super cheap meal that's better the second day.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite easy meals are:
    a fried egg with a little cheese on toast
    Refried beans in a tortilla
    Turkey lunch meat on rye with mustard
  • Magnus919
    Magnus919 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm autistic, so salads are hard for me because of the texture

I'm going to try to read the rest of this and understand more before offering any specific suggestions, but I am also an autistic adult. Glad to see others already openly trying to figure out something that works for them here.
  • Magnus919
    Magnus919 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you tried, and do you like, avocado? I'm in my 40's and just finally got over my issues with it last year. Now I love it. The color put me off, as did the sight of the texture of guacamole. If it makes sense, the shape of the sound of the word "guacamole" kept me away for years.

I use slices of avocado instead of mayonnaise on sandwiches now. A little piece of heaven for me is to sear some tuna steak in a hot pan, sprinkle with a little sea salt, extra virgin olive oil, and some lemon juice, maybe a little balsamic reduction. Then I slice it thin, slice up half of an avocado. A slice of tuna with a slice of avocado on top... oh my... it is so perfect in my mouth. And so simple.

One other thing that helps me is to have a giant mug of ice water with a little lemon juice in it. Whenever I think I'm hungry, take a sip of water.

I don't know if you're like me, but I only know that my stomach is telling me something. I don't know what it's telling me. "I'm hungry" feels like "I'm sated". This has gotten me into a lot of trouble over the years. So I've found that drinking water when I'm not sure gets me to a point where I'm very sure that I'm hungry after awhile. :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you are used to, just in smaller quantities.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories not type of food. Eat the foods you do like in appropriate portion sizes for your goals. I pre-log and find that helpful to figuring out how much I can have of something.
    Get enough protein, fats and fiber to feel more satisfied. Drink water.
    Eat the vegetables you do like. Eat fruits if you prefer fruit.
    Try different cooking methods to cut calories. Try roasting or grilling foods. Watch portion sizes on things like oils, butter, cheese, nuts.

My dd also gags on the texture of salad and dislikes salad dressings. She can eat cooked creamed spinach and will eat vegetables cooked in soup or pasta sauce. One of the soups she really likes is minestrone. She will eat lentils and beans.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Or should I just eat normal, but portion out the calories?

Yes. Do this.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice & insight here as long as you're in deficit you're losing weight but if you'd like to try some new healthy foods, You could also consider looking into making smoothies. they are quick & easy & healthy (you can buy fresh or frozen fruits & veggies & make sure you have a good blender so it comes out with proper texture, then drink & enjoy or freeze in paper cups for homemade "ice cream!"
    Also, consider getting a crock pot. There's lots of recipes for cheap delicious nutritious meals. Super easy to prepare & will yield lots of leftovers. Good luck!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I don't have health insurance, can't see a doctor, live in a Republican run state so of course they aren't expanding medicare.

^^^I am not sure what any of this has to do with monitoring calories.^^^ And you can pay cash or use check to see a doctor or a nutritionist (if that is what you are after).

Get a good food scale ($15), eat normally, and watch portion sizes.
    Most fish, chicken breast, lean pork loin, etc. are great sources of low cal. filling protein.