bowflex max and very out of shape

Options
I'm very very out of shape and wanting to buy the bowflex max M5. Does anyone have anything they can tell me if they were in a similar position when first getting theirs? For the price, I know I have to commit to this for the long haul!! Please reply here or message me directly. Any comments are greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• ravensdiet15
    ravensdiet15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It just looks like something that I would use over the long haul. Something that will work my whole body at once.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you currently doing? The Bowflex is a significant $$ outlay. Personally, I would start off by joining a local gym and hiring a trainer. You can always buy a bowflex later. Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The only reason I would sell my Bowflex is because I wish I bought a better model (I have the PR1000).

I was very out of shape when I got mine, and now I'm hitting the maximum resistance on several exercises.

Edit: Nvm, you're looking at their cardio equipment - I've never used it, only their resistance training equipment.
  • algrif37
    algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I thought I was in ok shape. Nothing too bad. But man this kicks my butt!! I can't do the max interval programs but I usually use the fat burn or calorie burn program twice in a row to equal 30 minutes total. I can't do the recommend pace (per the rpm type lights) but I do whatever I can. It's still really hard to get through!! I dont use the included heart rate monitor but use my own I can usually burn 350+ calories/30 minutes. Sweat like crazy. I could burn more if I did intervals better but this kills me as it is. I have had it for awhile but am just starting to use it regularly. 3 times a week. I also walk on other days and ride my horse I am starting a gym membership this week and will incorporate weight training. But this thing works my butt and thighs big time !!
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like mine. It took me a few months to work up to being able to do the full routines. It seriously kicks my *kitten* with very little impact. I put mine together myself no problem, but it is a heavy piece of equipment once all together. If you're easily discouraged it might not work for you because it's very challenging at first.
  • Magnus919
    Magnus919 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm autistic, and a gym membership is not reasonable for me. Too much about the gym environment is disabling for me. But I work behind a desk, too, so over the years I've become very out of shape.

I just recently picked up a Bowflex Max M5 and it's in my writing shack behind the house. I'm out there often anyway, so when I'm sitting at my desk this thing is looking at me from across the room.

Only two days into the Bowflex Max experience, I have to play with the settings or something to get to where my really out of shape body can last more than 2 minutes on the thing. My first workout was only 1:20 in duration! But there are settings for the intensity that I think may allow me to push out farther. I'd really like to at least get 5 minute sessions in until I can push myself to do more and more, until I can eventually do the 14 minute program.

The machine is very compact, and can fit very well into a corner of the room, nosed right into a wall if you like. One consideration for me, though, was putting it somewhere that I'd have to look at it.

And once I figure out how to use it for more than 2 minutes without falling apart, I'll schedule sessions on my iPhone calendar just like an appointment.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I've been using my M5 for a year now. This morning's workout was 30 minutes steady state at level 14! I love the Max Trainer and probably would not do without one. If it breaks and can't be fixed, I'll be buying another one for sure. When I first bought it I could not stay on it at level 1 for more than a minute or two. I even gave up and simply went walking for months instead of using it. But when winter hit, I went back, stayed on as long as I could then slowed way way down on it (almost to a stop) then went at it again until I could stay on it longer each day. Took over a month before I could hit 15 minutes on the thing but now I love it. I think level 15 is the max and it won't be long before I hit that. I do a 510 calorie burn every morning on the thing. Best $$$ I ever spent!

Here's this morning's workout:
    ;)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have had my M5 for about a month now, and I would say I am happy. I read lots of reviews and found them to be helpful, they mentioned a noise that I do indeed have now but even with a small rhythmic creaky squeak it's very quiet. My breathing is more audible than the machine from behind a closed door.

I love that I can exercise in complete privacy, and have everything my way. Honestly some days I just don't wear shoes and just a pair of socks and love the break from my sneakers. There is literally no shock to joints, though my weaker knee does get sore (not at all a "stop" feeling). If you do it right you'll feel it in your shoulders and back too!

I've worked up to 30 minutes of steady state, I am not fit enough for their pre set workouts, but I do plan to try them out within another month by progressively working harder. Most of my workouts start at level 1, I get my heart rate up (via fit bit) to about 135-140 as a warm up then do 25 mins of 5-8 resistance until cool down (level 1 again).

I did the financing options and if you pay off within 18 months there is no interest. I plan to pay $100/month and have it paid off in 15 months :)
    This guy is definitely worth it for me. I did read shipping can be a nightmare, I got very lucky. Their warehouse is in my town, and my husband works in his warehouse's shipping department as was able to get it seriously one day after I ordered it. It wasn't difficult to put together but I think two people are required.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Yea, we put ours together. I and my daughter's boyfriend did it in a couple of hours. Wasn't too difficult. Mine now makes tons of noises. Sounds like it's going to break. Luckily it's still under warranty until next spring so if it breaks it breaks. Hopefully though, if it's going to break, it will before the warranty runs out. I simply put on my headphones, crank up the music and ignore the noises. I also did the 0% financing option and paid it off in time. I'll do it again if it breaks and can't be fixed. I don't think I'll ever go without one again. I figure after 2 years if it breaks and is too expensive to fix it can go in the garage and be used for spare parts for the next one lol. I see they now have a M7 but damn they want a lot more for it. Mine took forever to get delivered, like five weeks. They were out of stock when I ordered and they are made in China so had to be shipped literally on the 'slow boat from China' then shipped to me.