Is Walking Enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    I can't walk and type right now because it's dark and it increases the risk of stumbling on the sidewalk or off a curb!

I also suck at walking and typing in the rain.

Walking and typing in the snow sucks too. When the leaves have fallen and are wet.. it is dangerous for your phone and your knees and elbows too!

Now that I think about it, I marvel at how dangerous walking and typing can be.

Maybe I should try cross-fit.

nah. Walking is easier on the joints ;-)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I get too bored without my phone to read..
  • GiselleBrand
    GiselleBrand Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. But consider some swimming, you might be pleasantly surprised how much more energy you can also burn while having fun.
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes! If it's something you enjoy then keep doing it :)
    You can always change your route and listen to some music to change things up..
    Ensure you're eating within your allowance and drinking lots of water
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I started with just walking and hiking! I think it's wonderful.
    After that's your routine, see how that feels.
    I believe the people who say that human bodies were designed with the intention that they would move slowly a lot of the time, move quickly a little bit of the time, and lift heavy things on a regular basis. So I walk a lot, take Zumba class once or twice a week, and lift free weights. But if you had told me that I would do all that when I started I would have cried!
    I think walking is the perfect 'gateway drug' to a full blown fitness habit. LOL
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I try to walk at least 4 days per week and 2 days i go to water arobics which is great , but walking is not only good for you but you can fit it in anytime of the day and do it alone or with someone and it costs nothing-so keep it up
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I mostly walk too. I lift some weights a couple times a week as well because people say that I have to... lol.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Walking is certainly enough, however some effort needs to applied to your walks to make it considered a good steady state cardio benefit for fitness and/or cardiovascular health. If you are just talking walking normal "steps" in a day (sort of like loitering) this is beneficial to anyone especially very sedentary people, but if you want to make an effort to overall better health, you need to apply effort to your walks.

https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/Walking/Walk-Dont-Run-Your-Way-to-a-Healthy-Heart_UCM_452926_Article.jsp?appName=MobileApp