Metformin and Total Loss of Appetite

Options
My doctor started me on metformin 500 mg 2x/day for insulin resistance caused by medication I was on a long time ago. This was mainly due to my complete inability to lose any weight without dropping down to about 600-700 calories a day.

The problem is that now I have zero appetite. It's a real struggle to eat anything at all. I'm forcing down every bite and I feel sick during and after I do. I know I'm supposed to eat when I take it but it's damn near impossible, every bite is a struggle. I'm having a really hard time just reaching 1000 calories a day, let alone 1200.

Worse yet, rigorously counting calories to lose weight, which is the only way I know that actually works, it's really aggravating my old eating disorder (anorexia and to a much lesser extent bulimia, I don't really have any problems with bulimia now though, but it's incredibly easy to fall back into the anorexia trap).

Has anyone had any luck with using protein shakes as a meal supplement? I just don't think I can keep choking down food all the time. I was having trouble before making myself eat and now it's an absolute ordeal. I just can't take it, I want to go to a liquid diet for at least all my meals except maybe dinner. I can maybe choke down one meal a day, but two or worse yet three, I just can't. Any practical solutions that anyone can give would be most appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• casileejade
    casileejade Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to take metformin too, and sometimes I do but it makes me sooo sick! That nausea doesn't go away and it's so hard to eat anything. I found though that it was easier to eat colder things like yogurt and smoothies. You still get full awfully fast but it's better than not getting your nutrition at all. I would definitely try the meal replacement shakes!
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Try taking the extended release version so you only have to take it once a day. The shakes will help, but you'll get more calories and nutrition with homemade onces. Use all kinds of fruit, protein powder and yogurt and milk.
  • GiselleBrand
    GiselleBrand Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Slow release metformin is a possibility but may be you might like to discuss halving your metformin to 500mg once a day to reduce your symptoms. Also, long term metformin therapy can affect your vitamin B12 levels so please remind your physician to check your B12 levels whenever you do a blood test.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    emi41142 wrote: »
    My doctor started me on metformin 500 mg 2x/day for insulin resistance caused by medication I was on a long time ago. This was mainly due to my complete inability to lose any weight without dropping down to about 600-700 calories a day.

The problem is that now I have zero appetite. It's a real struggle to eat anything at all. I'm forcing down every bite and I feel sick during and after I do. I know I'm supposed to eat when I take it but it's damn near impossible, every bite is a struggle. I'm having a really hard time just reaching 1000 calories a day, let alone 1200.

Worse yet, rigorously counting calories to lose weight, which is the only way I know that actually works, it's really aggravating my old eating disorder (anorexia and to a much lesser extent bulimia, I don't really have any problems with bulimia now though, but it's incredibly easy to fall back into the anorexia trap).

Has anyone had any luck with using protein shakes as a meal supplement? I just don't think I can keep choking down food all the time. I was having trouble before making myself eat and now it's an absolute ordeal. I just can't take it, I want to go to a liquid diet for at least all my meals except maybe dinner. I can maybe choke down one meal a day, but two or worse yet three, I just can't. Any practical solutions that anyone can give would be most appreciated, thanks.

What does your dr suggest? If he/she is not aware of your medical history and does not know your current concerns, then you need to explain these things.