Active after ankle surgery

Options
I start physical therapy next week but I wanted to ask here. At the end of December last year I had surgery to remove a haglund's deformity mass from the back of my left ankle. The surgeon sliced 50% into my Achilles and removed part of a bone and so it has taken longer for me to heal. I am just now trying to wean myself out of my walking boot per surgeon's orders and walking without a cane. My question is this, what types of cardio exercise can I perform while sitting or standing still? I have very little muscle in my calf but I can stand and walk short distances in my boot. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Tatty_Lad
    Tatty_Lad Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just joined the community on here. I've suffered with Haglunds for about 10 months, & just had surgery (4 weeks ago). I'm throwing myself in to physio and safe exercise as the surgeon didn't remove the Achilles. That said, worryingly, it still feels there. Very sore first thing in the morning. I think your best bet is to get physio, and get a plan. Really interested to see how you are getting on, and maybe share any fitness tips? I'm in need of losing 21 pounds...
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    One of the best means to maintain cardio fitness with a lower limb injury is to swim front crawl with a pull-buoy between your legs. Also check if your local gym has one of those machines that you 'pedal' with your arms?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    With the Achilles tendon healing as well.... ask your DOCTOR, not MFP randoms. You do not want to screw that up and be gimped permanently.
  • Tatty_Lad
    Tatty_Lad Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Some great advice on here. Thanks guys, much appreciated.