Is calorie counting sustainable?

Options
So I've been on mfp for a while but I was mainly doing Slimming World on which I lost 4 stone, however since around June 2015 I've gained 2 stone back. I became disillusioned with the idea of eating as many potatoes and as much pasta as I wanted until I felt full, and the idea of being able to eat mullerlight yogurts (full of sugar) as a 'free food'. (Sorry if this is confusing) then another part of the plan was counting 'syns' now they were encouraged to be used for crisps, sweets, chocolate etc. Now an avocado on the other hand which is full of health benefits was high in syns which I didnt really like the idea of.

Now I'm not saying it doesn't work because it does, but for me it clearly wasn't sustainable.

Do you find calorie counting to be a sustainable method? So far I'm enjoying the flexibility with it and not having any foods being cut out, just things like chocolate, ice-cream etc eaten in moderation and within my calories.

Replies

• javba2
    javba2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes it's sustainable
    I'd lost 90 lbs, gained 50 back. But I know how it happened. That's calorie counting. It's more sustainable than any specific meal plans, commercial plans, or just dieting. It's also compatible with all of the above.
  • duril64
    duril64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's sustainable, even necessary if you've had food and weight issues. I've lost 18 pounds since January with 9 to go to get to my target weight, and I've done it with food logging here and not doing anything complicated diet wise, just cutting out 90% processed food. Cutting out processed food keeps it simple, and as long as you stay under your calorie intake goal, the weight comes off. I think this is sustainable, I'll keep counting calories and adjust my calorie intake upward to stop the weight loss when I hit my goal. I'll definitely keep logging though, I think it'll help me maintain my weight loss.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    It is, but I lose without it. I do know the calories of most things I eat however, and my wife logs and weighs everything she eats, so I have a good baseline. I listen to my body and only eat when I'm hungry and until I'm satisfied, not stuffed. I didn't cut anything out, I just eat less. I do usually keep a mental estimate for the day.

Count until you're aware, then try switching off. I will caution that while I lost almost 40 lbs this way, it was slow and casual. No exercise was needed. You have to be brutally honest with yourself and break any binge habits or food addictions.
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I lack self control so I have to count ..lol
    If I don't count and tell my self to stay with in my target I just end up eating anything

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for over 3 years and so far so good.

But it's as sustainable as you make it. You still have to make good choices within your calories so you're not hungry all the time. I know that, personally, if I use over 300 calories of bread/cookies/chocolate/ice cream, I'm probably going to be pretty hungry at some point that day...

• emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy really, you weigh , you count, you log.
    You can then play with your macros and still enjoy all the foods you like but just not the portions.
    Calories are on all food packaging , so no working out really and best of all no deeming foods bad.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm on day 546 of logging my food with MFP. I'm happy with my progress.
    It is easy and takes a few minutes to log and make sure I am eating the right amounts of calories and protein for my goals.
    No weird rules or restrictions. I eat most of the same foods as I always did and the same food as my family.
    Anytime you lose weight it is because there is a calorie deficit. Some people do that following a specific diet or exercise plan but it still comes down to eating and/or burning the right amount of calories. Calorie counting is just the honest math behind weight loss or maintence.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've lost and kept off 10 stone so far, so yes, I think it's sustainable. Calorie counting is simple and straightforward using easily available information. All these Points System plans are doing is translating calorie counts and macros into their own mystery language that you need to subscribe to understand. I prefer to hang on to my money for other things!
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If done correctly, yes, it's very sustainable. But you have to set a reasonable calorie target -- some people get impatient and try to lose weight too fast to be sustainable for them. I find it's also helps to track carbs, protein, fat, and fiber. That way I know I'm getting enough of all the macro nutrients and the fiber helps me make sure I'm eating enough fruit and veggies.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A very good friend of mine has 6 wonderful children and she looks like a fitness model. She works out every day and counts calories. That's not to say she doesn't have a great time and enjoy food, but she keeps an eye on her intake every day and keeps her weight in a healthy range. If she can do it with 6 kids, I know I can do it.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Whether you are counting calories forever or just make a lot of good habits that keep you in a good calorie range I think it is very sustainable and pretty flexible to a variety of lifestyles.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I find counting calories very sustainable. I've lost 52 lbs; hit a healthy weight range in February, 2015 then transitioned into maintenance a few months ago. As others have said up thread, it's as sustainable as you make it. Set realistic goals, have patience, don't make excuses, and remember that you control the food, the food doesn't control you. I'll have to count calories probably forever, but it's so worth the benefits; easy-peasy for me. It's the only way I've been successful at losing weight and I've tried everything.
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Well very short experience but my opinion, my only opinion, no, I do not get to enjoy the food I want. But its sustainable and keep you motivated and realize when you eat more, and you can add notes and understand why you ate more, if you were out with friends, depressed or simply more hungry. So i guess in a way you get to know yourself better and avoid excuses and face truth. I understand quantities and portions and calories better now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I never viewed calorie counting as "the lifestyle"...I always viewed it as a tool to help me visualize what I was doing. For me, the "lifestyle" is simply good livin'...eating well and exercising regularly and otherwise maintaining healthy habits. Yesterday marked three years of maintenance and I haven't logged in those three years.

I always viewed it as a learning tool...nothing more, nothing less. I'm 41 and hoping to stick around for another 40-50 years...I hardly find it realistic to think I'd be keeping a diary for the next 40-50 years.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing and tracking my food for just over 6 months. This may or may not be enough time to really qualify for this question, but I know that regardless of whether we count calories, our bodies are counting them.

I plan to count and track in maintenance, too. For me, this is sustainable.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I think there are at least two successful approaches that I've seen when it comes to counting calories.

First, you have people that count over the long-run. They are committed to it and stick with it.

Second, are the ones (like me) who used it to initially lose the weight and learn (re-learn) portion control and to dial in the thought processes that allow us to maintain weight over time. Some of us still use calorie counting when we cut/lose weight. I know I won't count calories every day for the rest of my life, but I do use it as a tool for weight loss and self checks. I was able to keep my weight gain over the last 2 years to about 10 pounds per year, which is perfect for the long cut and bulk cycles I want to do.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    When I started here on MFP, I imagined I would have to cut out everything I liked, at least everything remotely tasty, and count calories for the rest of my life. But the no-nonsense and flexibility made me realize that nothing is off limits, it's up to me find out what works for me and not. Ironically, or paradoxically, or maybe neither, but it sure came as a surprise - MFP taught me how to eat, without having to count calories, and I no longer obsess over candy, chips and ice cream. I eat an overall healthy diet, don't do any real exercise, and don't worry about weight gain. Today is my maintenance's 18 months "anniversary" :D
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    I think it's the only thing that works, like everyone above has said. I started on MFP in 2007. There have been a few months every year that I don't log - usually November and December, because I just have too much going on and tend to eat a lot that time of year. I then wrestle myself back into logging again in January and stick with it for the rest of the year. I mostly know how much everything is now, but it's good to do anyway. I weigh myself every day, I log my food. Five minutes, done and done. I eat a much more nutrition mix of food now than I ever have, due to studying and learning from my daily food diary.