Is 1200cals a day too little

Options
I have 100lbs to lose , I normally burn about 350/400 cals at the gym I'm currently consuming about 1500 , would 1200 be too low?

Replies

• KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Some people do it...however it is quite a small amount and a lot of people who need to lose a lot and try 1200 find it too restrictive and end up giving up. You have a lot to lose so it's better to pace yourself and give it time. There will be a time to lower the calories to lose that last maybe 20 lbs, but till then don't torture yourself. If you work out you need to fuel it. Take your time.
  • drpsamin
    drpsamin Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Its too little if you are 100lb over weight. Your bmr is higher than let's day someone who is 120 pounds... So you an probably eat 1500-1800 and still lose weight at the rate as some one who is lighter. Good luck :) you can do this girl!!
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1200 is too low. I guarantee it's going to be a struggle to stick to resulting in subsequent binges (I speak from experience here). Feel free to give it a go though and see how you do.

I'm 1800-2100 at maintanence and 2400 if I'm exercising strenuously. It's possible, I swear. :)

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have 100lbs to lose , I normally burn about 350/400 cals at the gym I'm currently consuming about 1500 , would 1200 be too low?

1,200 calories is fine. Consult a nutritionist to get a good eating plan.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    There you go. Every possible answer. Aren't these boards great? ;)

Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), which translates into the bare minimum of calories just to exist, depends on several factors, but is heavily influenced by your current weight and activity level. Check out this article for some good info: http://dailyburn.com/life/health/how-to-calculate-bmr/
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The bmrs for that calculator seem low
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    It can be done, I've done it; that said, it was torture! I believe with the amount of exercise you do, you can get away with many more calories than that, and still lose weight. I'm still losing weight, eating 15-1900 a day, and I'm much older than you. I'd suggest starting high, then tweaking your calories after two weeks if need be. Because really, isn't the goal to lose weight and still eat and enjoy your life? Good luck! xo
  • bshrom
    bshrom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Absolutely 1200 calories a day is too low! Especially if you are a fairly active person. You might lose faster on 1200 a day but keeping it off and not binging from calories being to low is gonna be the issue.