First time with personal trainer

Options
So yesterday was my first day with my personal trainer and my legs are dead and I feel like I can barely walk and sit. Do I need to work out today?

Replies

• bmj2015
    bmj2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No, you can definitely give your body some time to rest and recover. Get plenty of water and eat some protein. You'll probably feel less sore as your workouts with your trainer continue, but for now there is no need to overdo it. When my legs are dead from "leg day", I usually just take a long walk or do some yoga and call that my "active rest day"
  • crystalroselynn
    crystalroselynn Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bmj2015 wrote: »
    No, you can definitely give your body some time to rest and recover. Get plenty of water and eat some protein. You'll probably feel less sore as your workouts with your trainer continue, but for now there is no need to overdo it. When my legs are dead from "leg day", I usually just take a long walk or do some yoga and call that my "active rest day"

Thanks! My legs absolutely hurt and I also have an 8 hour shift today. Tomorrow I will be back at it hopefully
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would recommend active recovery...something light like walking. It might help you feelbetter, although doesn't feel like it at first.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hot bath w/ espsom salt and/or low level cardio to increase the blood flow (Helps recovery)!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    go for a walk. if you're new to all of this, pace yourself...you certainly you don't need to go from couch to all of the workouts overnight. rest/recovery days should also be programmed into your fitness regimen...it's just as important to your fitness and overall health and wellbeing as the work itself.

the worse thing you could do though is nothing...get up an moving, just nothing to strenuous.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I always encourage my clients to do something active if they're sore. It's better to get some gentle movement in to speed recovery than be a couch potato.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Walk on the treadmill after a leg day, at a reasonable pace. Along with good stretching. I recommend you rest 48 hours before working the same muscle group.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I always found a casual bike ride does wonders for leg soreness, just don't overdo it.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The first time I worked out with a trainer, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck for a week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My trainer has always challenged me without crushing me, physically or mentally.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I keep telling my coach he is trying to kill me or get me to pull off the impossible. He just laughs at me.

But in all seriousness, get some gentle movement in. A long slow walk will do wonders.
  • crystalroselynn
    crystalroselynn Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What do I do for the next couple days besides walk? Should I work on arms?
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    No I would just walk. You are tearing your muscles when you workout and the rest time is when you grow and repair. You will be stronger for the next workout. Don't overdo it or you may find that your immune system is a little weakened and end up getting sick. Your body will adapt to the workouts in the first couple a weeks and you won't be so sore after that. Your trainer should be able to tell you how much you should be working out and when. Don't be afraid to ask them. You are a paying customer. Ask them lots of questions. They are usually very expensive. Get your money's worth from it.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    I would go workout the next day as long as its not your legs that your working out. I work out 7 days a week usually with a 3 day split legs/shoulders, back/bi's, and chest/triceps. The more I work out the less I get sore. I will take a break when my body is just on shut down mode tho, usually the sign is when im overly tired and try to sleep for a whole day.