What keeps you motivated during a run?

Options
pandabear_
pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
My past couple of runs outside have been very difficult to finish, and the last one today I gave up with 10 minutes to go. :'( I usually run for 30 minutes and do a distance of between 3.82 and 4 miles in this time. But for some reason the past few runs, I just had to give up or (as ridiculous as it sounds) tell myself mentally to keep going. It's been really tiring/frustrating because I know I have it in me to do the full 30 minutes running.

So what is it that keeps you motived to keep going?

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are running too fast? Four mile in thirty minutes is not insanely fast, but if you never run for longer than half an hour you are probably trying to push yourself to go as fast as you can every time you go out, which is not the most effective (or pleasant) way to improve. Just slow down to a pace you could chat or sing at and do 30 mins at that pace, even if you cover much less distance. Speed can come later when it feels easy.
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Knowing I can eat after I finish. Huge motivation.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    The variety of music I have on my iPod, and the fact it's on shuffle so I never know what's next; the things I see during a run...beautiful farms, fields, animals, flowers; the knowledge that I'm getting stronger daily, the food I know that's waiting for me afterward, the satisfaction I know I'll feel crossing that finish line...lots of things. You have to find yours.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What litsy3 said! That has to be a major push! I have a few tricks for those times when mental road blocks stop me, though. (It does happen. Usually right before an improvement if you are willing to work through them.) First, I like to run out and backs. If I run out to my max distance, I'm going to have to get home somehow. I'm likely to get bored walking home and start running again. It is ok to slow down if your not feeling it. A slow jog is better than a walk, but a walk is ok sometimes, too. Maybe it's a fuel issue.

Also, music! Especially if the run is long. I have a play list on Spotify of songs that I know. That I know will both motivate me, and keep me at a good pace.

I also run with my dog. That isn't an option for everyone, but you can also find friends to run with. Both have kept me moving in the past.
  • pandabear_
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    Perhaps you are running too fast? Four mile in thirty minutes is not insanely fast, but if you never run for longer than half an hour you are probably trying to push yourself to go as fast as you can every time you go out, which is not the most effective (or pleasant) way to improve. Just slow down to a pace you could chat or sing at and do 30 mins at that pace, even if you cover much less distance. Speed can come later when it feels easy.

Thanks, that's a good tip, I can definitely slow it down. My plan was actually to increase my run to 35 minutes in a couple of weeks, once 30 minutes was comfortable, then continue going up 5 minutes. So speed definitely isn't my goal, although sometimes seeing that I ran a mile even faster than had before is a nice feeling.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    ASH_DVM wrote: »

Same.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

Same.

Me too! The only thing that got me through today's 10 miles was the promise of smoked salmon bagels and peanut butter!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Same.

Me too! The only thing that got me through today's 10 miles was the promise of smoked salmon bagels and peanut butter!

I would definitely run 10 miles for either of those things.

I ran a 15K cross country race on Sunday and was daydreaming from about 7K in about the vanilla milkshake my friends had promised would be waiting for me at the finish line.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »

Thanks, that's a good tip, I can definitely slow it down. My plan was actually to increase my run to 35 minutes in a couple of weeks, once 30 minutes was comfortable, then continue going up 5 minutes. So speed definitely isn't my goal, although sometimes seeing that I ran a mile even faster than had before is a nice feeling.

I would suggest finding a good running plan, and sticking with it. You will find that the mileage varies, and so do the paces that you run at. You will end up with a better result and faster gains. Especially, if you find one that follows the 10 percent increase per week rule.
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Same.

Ah, the post-run bagel. Definitely up there with the finer things in life.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I agree slow down a bit. If you head out for a run knowing it has to be an all out pace for 30mins it can feel like a drag and mentally block you.

I get the same way with my running routine. Yesterday I headed out and told myself to run easy for as long as I wanted. I ended up running 5 miles! And it felt great. I felt like I could have kept going, but I didn't have enough time.

• punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love running to great tunes. I also plan my route to pass a whole bunch of wedding dress shops. Helps to remind me what I'm working for.
  • pandabear_
    Options

I would suggest finding a good running plan, and sticking with it. You will find that the mileage varies, and so do the paces that you run at. You will end up with a better result and faster gains. Especially, if you find one that follows the 10 percent increase per week rule.

I have a couch to 10 k running plan on my phone, which I could start doing. It would mean starting with running 40 minutes (4 ten minute runs with 1 minute walking break), which at the moment looks terrifying.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I have a couch to 10 k running plan on my phone, which I could start doing. It would mean starting with running 40 minutes (4 ten minute runs with 1 minute walking break), which at the moment looks terrifying.

You can run 4 miles in 30 minutes... you can easily run for 40 minutes you won't even need the walking breaks.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Knowing I've got to keep going to get home! I rarely give up and walk because it makes it so much harder to get going again, just slow the pace down a bit if necessary.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This

LN_659613_BP_11.jpg
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    What motivates me? Finishing.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Pffft! Everybody here talking about their 5 to 15 miles running distance I'm still here trying to break 3 miles and wondering why I'm winded halfway up on a hill -.-

Because it's a hill?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Pffft! Everybody here talking about their 5 to 15 miles running distance I'm still here trying to break 3 miles and wondering why I'm winded halfway up on a hill -.-

You're doing great. I just ran 2 miles for the first time in my life (61 this week) on Fri. Now I have to start on that 3 mile/5k goal. Keep going!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Because it's a hill and you're probably going too fast.

It wasn't that long ago that the idea of running 5 miles non-stop seemed impossible.......now it's an easy mid-week run. Keep at it, it does get easier (then our brain does something stupid like "Hey, now that 5 miles is easier, let's try for 10 miles!")

OP, I'm going to second the suggestion to slow down a bit..... most of your runs should be at a conversational pace. For many of us running sub 8 min miles is approaching race pace. Try to just enjoy the run for the run's sake........personally I'm exceedingly lucky that I've got a rec path beside the Ottawa River, I just kick back and enjoy the scenery while I'm running.