costochondritis

Options
reddevil614
reddevil614 Posts: 16 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
hi, does anyone have any experience with costochondritis? I got it last summer so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. cardiologist diagnosed me with costo and said it was very common, but I don't know anyone that has ever had it. she told me to rest my core/upper body cause sometimes ur body will heal, but in some cases it's chronic and u have it for life.

after about 3 months I tried exercising again and did a plank and it hit me again, although not as bad as in july. so I have only been walking or running on a treadmill since october, and slowly started eliptical in January (was worried cause of the arm thrusts).

but I still have twinges now and then and am scared to go back to weights/yoga/pilates. I also cannot heal fully since I have a 2 yr old that I have to lift up and down.

has anyone ever had this b4? I wasn't new to exercising/weights either, so never had an actual injury or reason to pinpoint when/why this happened.

thanks! :)

Replies

• gaiagrrl
    gaiagrrl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it when was 16 and the docs told me I would probably have episodes every ciuple of years until I was in my 30's. That's exactly what happened. I had episodes that would last a couple of weeks but when it would flare up I took anti inflammatory meds and tried to keep activity and stress to a minimum. I haven't had an episode since I was 34. But I still have scar tissue in my ribs from it...feels like spindles. But that's my only reminder.

I hope you get relief. Can't imagine running after a busy wee one. Good luck!
  • reddevil614
    Options
    @gaiagrrl thanks so much for ur insight, I'm glad u haven't had in a while! I do have anti inflammatory meds too and they do help, thankfully. I'm just very impatient I guess lol just want to get back to my old routine! sometimes I will get the chest cracks too, not sure if u got those symptoms, but I wonder if that contributes to the scar tissue. but glad to finally find someone that had it, and happy to hear it is not chronic for u....gives me some hope :)
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yup, I had it when I was younger too. For something not serious, it sure feels like you are about to DIE!!! My doctor always recommended ibuprofen for the inflammation of the muscle, so it worked for me. Oddly enough, I don't remember having a flare up for many years now, especially since starting to actively lift weights so long ago. I have no idea if they are related, but it makes me wonder.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's been keeping me awake at night. I take Alleve.
  • reddevil614
    Options
    I am just too scared to go back to weights at the moment, but plan to try again in june, that's a 6 month break, so we'll see.

I was also doing a lot of rowing last year, and Dr also said costo is common in women, especially petite women with narrow chests , so I won't go back to that, cause maybe that caused it--sorry, I should have said that last night, but I wrote that post late. @Fit4LifeAR glad u don't go thru it anymore, and @lithezebra hope u find some relief, I don't wish this pain on anyone!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've had it a few times. It takes a few months to go.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I got it from an agressive pilates reformer instructor giving bad advice on form, very painful. Just had to rest & avoid twisting or lifting weight ot stretching torso. Took about 3-4 months. Wasnt fun at all.
  • meaganseafit
    meaganseafit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, planks are the devil when it comes to costo! It's even caused it in some people! Please stay away from the plank - there are much better exercises out there. Form is everything when it comes to exercising with costo but you'll have to take it easy at the beginning anyway. I'd suggest looking for a trainer in your area who has experience with it and get them to take you through the weightroom and show you how to do everything with good form. <3
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yup. In HS. It resolved, thank God.
  • reddevil614
    Options
    thanks @Sabine_Stroehm @minniestar55 and @nvmomketo glad it cleared up for u!

lol @meaganseafit thanks, I think I may just do what u suggested once I heal up...now if this baby could just start lifting himself up into the crib and carseat, I'd be golden!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Mine started two months ago. :disappointed: . I hope it goes away. I'm not taking any meds. And I am a dancer. It's stressing me out.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I had it once, at 32; I thought I was having a lung problem. I called my chiropractor and he did his poking and prodding and put me right. My ribs ached for two days afterward, and I had a few smaller episodes that he worked put too. Never had a recurrence.

He said it's more common in women, maybe hormonal or chemical. But I also have a narrow chest so I think it's just mechanical.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    HakeemTheDream89 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Being 5'11 455 pounds I been diagnosed with costochondritis,high blood pressure and agina since 2011. My inflammation tends to flare up and chest gets real tight after work outs.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I had it once, at 32; I thought I was having a lung problem. I called my chiropractor and he did his poking and prodding and put me right. My ribs ached for two days afterward, and I had a few smaller episodes that he worked put too. Never had a recurrence.

He said it's more common in women, maybe hormonal or chemical. But I also have a narrow chest so I think it's just mechanical.

Interesting. I have a narrow chest too. My rib cage is just 25 inches where the bra band is. I wonder if I could get realigned. I could try something gentle like massage. Thanks for sharing.
  • amber3063
    amber3063 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got Costo the end of October last year - been two months I keep having flare ups. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it better or how to avoid flare ups? I haven't worked out since I got it and been hesitant on doing so :(
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had Tietze's last year and costo for about 7 months. I went to PT and massage, took a daily anti-inflammatory (nambumetone, easier on my stomach than advil). I just worked out around it, like I'd just do squats and lunges, no arm/upper body at all, or for a couple months my PTs wanted me to just walk on the treadmill and gently like my arms sway.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Had it for years, off and on. Mine affects my whole rib cage when it strikes and I can't wear anything with a snug band around the rib cage. Believe me, as a girl runner, it's punishing not being able to flatten down the ladies. Painkillers and volterol gel helped me, as did heat pad on the worst areas to help sleep. I concentrated on walking and gentle exercise during bad attacks, apart from the 3 days I thought I was having a heart attack and couldn't breathe properly. I had 3 toddlers to contend with the first time, so I just had to suck up the pain. Not an experience I'd like to repeat.

I've had several attacks over the years, but as I get fitter, the attacks get less, and less painful. I even managed a gentle run during the last attack, which eased in a few days. They're shorter now too. My first one lasted months before it eased significantly, but I was overweight, unfit and eating badly. I don't know how being stronger and fitter helps, but it seems to for me.

• InezTownsend447
    InezTownsend447 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too have been having the pain after a good work out can't get rid of it. Change your diet too it helps...
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I read the noni fruit, or extract from it is good for it.