Can 3 days of overeating ruin progress??

Options
So ive been doing really well for the past few weeks then this weekend happend and I over ate WAYY TOO MUCH. I'm going to start back up tomorrow morning I'm just wondering if this will do a lot of damage?? :(

Replies

• dancin_homie
    dancin_homie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Only if you let it. A few days of bad eating won't ruin you, just as a few days of healthy eating won't miraculously make you. You may see some physical fluctuations (scale change slightly, bloating maybe, etc), but Everyone (or at least most) has done a similar thing and you just have to start fresh tomorrow.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Depends on what "way too much" is. You'd have to eat about 3500 over maintenence to gain one pound of fat, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll probably see some increase in scale weight due to water retention but that'll go away, so it'll probably just set you back a few days for that.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've over eaten for most of my life Hun, but I'm not letting it ruin my future. Forget the past and move on. Xx
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'd call it a temporary setback and move on. What you do over the long term matters so much more.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,855 Member
    Options
    At worst, it's a bit of delay in reaching your ultimate goal. As long as you get back on your healthy path as soon as feasible, and as long as going over your calorie target stays a rare occurrence, you'll still reach your goal. Just log it (estimate if you need to), and go on.
  • rebelriesling_
    rebelriesling_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not strictly linear - you'll have ups and downs! Your attitude towards overeating will determine your long-term success, so try to commit to a better day tomorrow and keep plugging away :)
  • LexieNenstielPorter
    Options
    We are all allowed to mess up and give ourselves a "U-turn". Make your "U-turn" and move on.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yes, three days can absolutely ruin your progress. You can reduce the damage by compensating over the next 3 days either by cutting back on your normal intake, OR adding some extra cardio workouts at high intensity. You might end up breaking even and it'll be like it never happened.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    If you ate say, 5000 cal each day, that is 15k which is worth 4lbs. So if you use to eat to lose 2lbs/week the last 2 weeks and lost 4lbs these 3 days will get you on starting position. So it all depends on how much you ate these 3 days.

Some people only log their calories when they have been a good boy/girl and ate within limits. Then when they overeat they just don't log it (out of shame, I don't know?). If you did this, then you won't know how much you overate.

Many of us, including me, log everything including days we eat more. This way we can figure when a bit much becomes too much so we can stop before it is too late. (Well it's never too late but noone really wants to ruin weeks of diet, do they?)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Yes, three days can absolutely ruin your progress. You can reduce the damage by compensating over the next 3 days either by cutting back on your normal intake, OR adding some extra cardio workouts at high intensity. You might end up breaking even and it'll be like it never happened.

Sorry 3 days will not ruin anything unless that 3 turns into another 3 and then another 3 etc.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Sorry 3 days will not ruin anything unless that 3 turns into another 3 and then another 3 etc.

That makes no sense. It's like saying if I regained 3 lbs, I haven't really screwed up unless I gain another 3 and another 3 etc. I already ruined it with the first 3. The rest are just compounding the ruin. Besides, those 3 days of overeating started out as one meal, which then became a day and then another day and another day.

I know you're trying to be positive, which is nice, but there's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

That makes no sense. It's like saying if I regained 3 lbs, I haven't really screwed up unless I gain another 3 and another 3 etc. I already ruined it with the first 3. The rest are just compounding the ruin. Besides, those 3 days of overeating started out as one meal, which then became a day and then another day and another day.

I know you're trying to be positive, which is nice, but there's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.

I read it as him saying that 3 days isn't going to make a huge difference, and to make sure and nip it in the bud now and not continue overeating.

So many people fail if they have a binge day or two, and just keep on going "because they've already ruined their diet anyway", and the longer they do this the harder it is to get back in control.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    starting again can undo the damage. No guilt just GET WITH THE PROGRAM. You can do this.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    You're wrong. I went completely off the rails from Christmas eve through the end of January. I stopped counting, ate way more than I should and just basically went back to my old habits for the entire time. I gained 4 pounds.

I have lost an overall 50 pounds, so an entire MONTH of overeating did not ruin my progress. It would have had I gained the entire 50 pounds back, but what I gained was a blip on the radar and it has since come back off.

Life is life.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

I read it as him saying that 3 days isn't going to make a huge difference, and to make sure and nip it in the bud now and not continue overeating.

So many people fail if they have a binge day or two, and just keep on going "because they've already ruined their diet anyway", and the longer they do this the harder it is to get back in control.

Exactly....in the course of losing 120 pounds I messed up all the time. It's what you do over the long haul that will
    be what matters.