Do you stop while you still want more?

Options
Up until right now, I belived I was special :D But @Larissa_NY said this in a thread I'm following:
If you want salty, fatty, high-calorie food you're going to have to learn to stop eating it while you still want more.

I have chosen to mostly avoid typical "treat"/"junk" food because they don't satisfy me, or, any reasonable amount doesn't satisfy me. When I start, I just want more, I get frustrated if I can't continue, and I can eat very large amounts before I start to feel sick. If I don't start, I still want it, but it's just a want, it doesn't feel like a need, or that I can't control myself.

Many of you eat treats (candy, chocolate, ice cream, cookies, chips) often. I understand that it won't impact overall nutrition or calorie goal. I'm more interested in what it feels like. Are you content after - say - 100 calories worth? Or do you have to force yourselves to stop? Does the want decrease after you've finished?

I want to hear all sides :)

Replies

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I usually will eat them where I can limit them so if I'm on a long car drive or I'm at work I'll pack chips so I can't go back and just keep eating a whole bag lol. At home watching Netflix? Not the place for me to eat junk food lol.

Edit: and I'm an ICU nurse so I usually get satisfied from them because I look forward to it and it's a nice treat at 3 am lol
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Agree with @rankinsect. I measure before eating so to eat more requires more effort so I don't do it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I plan the portions in advance, so I just measure out the portion I chose and eat until it's gone. It doesn't feel like stopping, really, so much as finishing.

Samesies. I feel better when I finish a "bag". I still want more though, but I don't because I don't want the last 4 years to have been a waste.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    With any food, not specifically treat food, I make sure I have an appropriate portion of whatever it is I'm eating on the plate/bowl, and once that's done I usually feel 'not hungry anymore' rather than stuffed, I could definitely eat a little more - I need to let my food settle for 15 minutes or so and then I'll feel totally satisfied and full. If I feel that way with food still on my plate, the stomach-ache's gonna kick in pretty soon because I've overdone it. I've always had eyes bigger than my stomach.

I've had to train myself into waiting at least 30-60 minutes before eating pudding after I've finished my evening meal, to see if I actually have space or just don't want to stop eating. I usually have a coffee to occupy my hands/mouth in the meantime.

I think I will always naturally want to eat 3 pieces of cheesecake/bowls of ice cream/bars of chocolate in one sitting, so yeah, I have to tell myself to stop when really I fancy a bit more. I have a massive sweet tooth, so if I stop eating with pudding still on the bowl, it's only cos I've already eaten way too much and feel physically sick, so that's not a reliable guide.
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether you mean mentally wanting more or physically still feeling hungry. Whether I mentally want more depends on how stressed and tired and irritated and petulant I feel, most of the time. Whether I'm still hungry sometimes depends on mood (I had a phase a few weeks ago where I had wild swings between being stuffed and 20 minutes later being starving, which was probably mental but felt like actual hunger) but most of the time depends on the calorie density of the food. I try to keep veggies and such in my meals to bulk them up for that reason. Also, a little fat goes a long way - a little olive oil or a little cheese or butter can really make something satisfying.

The other thing I find helpful is portioning everything out immediately after cooking and putting it away, and then eating in a different room than the kitchen. If I think I'm still hungry after eating the portion, I would have to go to the kitchen and find something and heat it - so I have to put forth some effort. If it is worth it to me to do that, I do it, but usually it isn't.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I plan the portions in advance, so I just measure out the portion I chose and eat until it's gone. It doesn't feel like stopping, really, so much as finishing.

This is pretty much what I do. I don't want to think in terms of deprivation, like "I can never have cake or ice cream again." Instead, I measure and weigh out portions and then count those calories. I also look for some substitutions and/or calorie controlled portions. About 2pm at work every day, I want something sweet. So, I bring a 100 calorie packs of cookies or one of those Special K pastry crisps. It satisfies my craving and prevents me from hitting the kitchen for a brownie or something.

That said, if I really want ice cream or a brownie, I make that work in my calorie goal for the day.

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

that's what i do now, too. when i had a whole chocolate bar in front of me, i generally ate the entire thing. now i have the half quest bar or quarter chocolate bar or 1.5 servings of ice cream, i just feel finished because i'm not struggling to stop myself - which rarely worked. also if i want more, i have more and cut the calories out somewhere else in my day, but that hasn't happened much in the last few weeks.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Lol, looks like you pinned it down :D

I have no trouble doing that with *food*. I plan and portion it out. Planning meals has become my primary hobby. I love to play with different combinations to get optimal taste and balance and variety. When I have eaten, I'm finished, I feel happy. Sometimes I wish there were more, but I don't feel cheated. I haven't been able to do that with *treats*. It feels counterintuitive to plan to eat just for pleasure. I don't buy "junk" foods, but I'm very clever, I will find the most calorific in fridge and cupboards and combine them into sugary fatty salty pleasure bømbs :# That's not something I plan. I just do it when I want some, as long as I'm not at the high end of my weight range. Sometimes I "have to" repeat, other times I can manage to just have one portion. Once or twice, I think, I felt satisfied after one portion, and then I had the distinct feeling of "full". Usually, it's a "mini-binge". I don't feel "guilty" afterwards, but I would have preferred not to have succumbed; when I manage to not eat outside plan, I never regret that.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    OP , your "often" is not the same as others and mine. I love ice cream and 8 days ago I pigged out with a big bowl and I couldn't force another bite in, and now I don't feel like having another bowl anytime soon. That's how I "often" and the amount of the stuff I enjoy. I don't see it as avoiding or forcing myself to stop.

Maybe acquiring *the right mindset* and a balanced physiological need is the key here.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I AM searching for the right mindset :# This thread is part of that quest. My physiological needs have improved after I started to eat better and more structured. My cravings are manageable. But it would have been wonderful to feel totally relaxed around "junk".
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the process of training my mind to not want to keep eating. When I am actually hungry, usually around meal times, I am very good at eating my planned, weighed portions but when it comes to bored/social/treat eating, I have a lot of trouble making myself stop. So to answer your questions, no, 100 calories/1 serving does not fulfill me at this point in time, I do have to force myself to stop, and the want does not decrease after I stop. It's a mind trap that I have to be careful not to let myself fall back into. I am reassociating boredom to do other activities, and socially I need to be on my game at all times so as not to overeat. I am not at the point where I can have treats in the house yet, though. I always always always want to keep eating and will probably struggle with that forever.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I plan my meal before I eat it. I log everting, then I sit and eat it. After its over, it's over. Mentally for me there is not an option to get more. I just finish my meal and feel satisfied.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Up until right now, I belived I was special :D But @Larissa_NY said this in a thread I'm following:
    If you want salty, fatty, high-calorie food you're going to have to learn to stop eating it while you still want more.

Many of you eat treats (candy, chocolate, ice cream, cookies, chips) often. I understand that it won't impact overall nutrition or calorie goal. I'm more interested in what it feels like. Are you content after - say - 100 calories worth? Or do you have to force yourselves to stop? Does the want decrease after you've finished?

I want to hear all sides :)

I'm not very good at all at limiting myself. What's disturbing, and a change from the past, is sometimes I'll be aware that I've satisfied my taste buds and the chocolate, candy, cookies, etc. NEVER taste as good as I'd imagined. But I'll finish the package anyway. (In the past, I used to stop.) I do best by keeping these foods to a minimum. Unfortunately, I'm often in environments where I'm surrounded by junk food and I can't resist. Then I'm disgusted with myself.

I'm doing a three-day potato hack in which I'm eating nothing but potatoes. As with other short-term hacks I've done, the problem almost never is hunger, but boredom and the habit of eating. Apart from the boredom, it's really very easy; I feel full and the Yukon Gold potatoes I've been eating plain are quite tasty.

With junk food and high-calorie food the key is to know yourself. If you're the kind of person who can't eat just a bite or two it's best to try to avoid it.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I AM searching for the right mindset :# This thread is part of that quest. My physiological needs have improved after I started to eat better and more structured. My cravings are manageable. But it would have been wonderful to feel totally relaxed around "junk".

It would be nice to be relaxed, but if you're someone who's drawn to these foods there's probably always going to be a tension between the intention to eat healthily and wanting the junk food. I know there will be for me. I'm sure you're aware of all the evolutionary reasons why many people crave sugary and salty food, as well as Big Food's manipulation of those cravings. I wouldn't ask the impossible of myself.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It worked for me to abstain from most "treats" for a period of time. Ice cream, peanut butter, cookies, chips...Having that discipline helped me to understand what triggers I have regarding eating, especially eating too much. Stress, boredom, anxiety, and, oddly enough, eating make me want to mindlessly eat. That last one was an interesting one to decode. I would eat my serving of whatever...and I'd want MORE. Through the process of abstaining, I had to come up with strategies for dealing with my triggers in different ways. Most often that is just wait it out. Drink water or coffee (if it's early enough in the day). And sometimes, it's just saying, "Meh. I'm stressed. I know I'm eating because of that. But I'm going to allow myself this." But it's not every time. And I'm not always successful. But I have a greater understanding of why.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For me it depends. Most of the time I can do moderation because I realize that it's either that or not eating it at all. I still try to avoid buying the things I tend to binge on though (like Pepperidge Farm cookies). I do portion my food too, so I'll take a bowl and put a serving (or two) of ice cream in instead of just dipping the spoon in the pint like I used to do. Sometimes I'll go back for more, but it doesn't happen that much (and if I do, I log it first to make sure that I can afford it).

Then I take small bites, try not to be distracted while I eat, so a small serving will be more satisfying... I still have bad days when I end up wanting more, but often I see the signals when I'm in that mood (typically... PMS, or lack of sleep, or too many carbs at breakfast) and then it's indeed easier not to start. And often, having one serving then making myself a cup of tea gets rid of that desire to eat more.

But there are things like chips that I just don't eat anymore because one serving doesn't satisfy me, and to be honest, I don't really miss them... but if for some reason I end up with a craving for chips, I'm sure I'll be fine just buying a single serving bag.

ETA: I still have days when I want to eat all the foodz, but if I haven't restricted myself too much, it's easier to stop.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »

It would be nice to be relaxed, but if you're someone who's drawn to these foods there's probably always going to be a tension between the intention to eat healthily and wanting the junk food. I know there will be for me. I'm sure you're aware of all the evolutionary reasons why many people crave sugary and salty food, as well as Big Food's manipulation of those cravings. I wouldn't ask the impossible of myself.

It's not impossible to control our own eating reasonably well. There are lots of things that we think we can't live without but we inevitably eventually move on, eg. first love, relationship, friendship, pets, etc. :)

kommo, I feel like I have reached a new state or perspective that I no longer feel foods and eating have an impossible irresistible quality for me. Eating can be just like any behaviors, like sleeping, taking a shower. It's quite an eye opening realization. Suddenly skipping unnecessary eating becomes very easy. One worry is if I will enjoy foods without the spellbinding "desire" in the long run, but for now it's very good for shedding pounds.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I find that I'm more likely to be content with higher-quality treats vs. cheap stuff.

I could easily binge on Reese's peanut butter cups and consume 1000+ calories in a sitting, on top of my ~1600 allowance for the day.

However, if it's something better, like gelato, I'm much more likely to be content with a half serving or so. Even Dove milk chocolates taste richer, so I can more easily have one or two.

Of course I have bad days where I just overconsume anything, but keeping the cheap stuff out of the house helps quite a bit.

~Lyssa
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I plan my meal before I eat it. I log everting, then I sit and eat it. After its over, it's over. Mentally for me there is not an option to get more. I just finish my meal and feel satisfied.

Luckily for me, I have no trouble doing this with food. Compared with those who struggle with overeating food, my problem is small.
    Verdenal wrote: »

Lol, I have done my research on Big Food :# I don't think they are evil any more, but they do take advantage of our natural drive to get sugar, salt and fat, for the least possible effort. I have to protect myself if I want to maintain weight and what's left of my health :p

I got an aha-moment after I read all your replies, it occured to me how "real food" can make me satisfied and feel "finished" after I've eaten a reasonable portion, while "junk food" makes me crave more: It's difficult to know when you've had enough of something you don't need.