Very slow weight loss

Options
cranberry509
cranberry509 Posts: 14 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,
I am 5'5 (164 cms) and 14 stones 2lbs (90 kilograms).

I am on a diet for the past 1.5 months , I record everything I eat on my diary. As I am endomorfic, I reduced my carbs intake, inceased my protein intake: 40% in protein, 30% in Fat and 30% in Carbs for the fat loss.

My BMR is apparently around 1600 kcal/day and I am on 1200 kcal or little more )never less) per day at present. This gives me a deficit of 2100 kcal per week in avarage.

I do not exercise as my plan was to loose 12 pounds in the first instance and then come back to the gym.

However, after 1.5 months I lost only around 3 pounds.

I looked very carefuly at my diary, my meals reflect 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbo, I even try to avoid gluten. I do not use sugar, I do not drink alcohol, juices and fizzy drinks (only water and teas), no sweets and the result is very dissapointing.

I had a similar problem 8 month ago and after loosing 10 pounds or so (I was on a diet and was attending a gyn few times a week) my weight did go further down.

I just wonder what I am doing wrong :(

Thanks
Isa

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • cranberry509
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

My diary is now Public.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am a fellow 5'5er here! I started my weight loss efforts at around 190 lbs (13.5 stone according to google). I, too, have a more endomorphic body shape, although I don't really put much stock in somatotypes because they are too rigid to describe the diverse body types that people have... I think somatotypes might have actually been debunked in terms of weight loss.

Anyway, that's beside the point!

Have you tried taking measurements with a body measuring tape? Just to check if you've lost any inches? I always hate hearing this one because I don't even trust myself to take accurate measurements... I have a suspicion that I measure myself in slightly different places every time... I should get markers tattooed on my body lol.

It sounds like you are just in a plateau. Don't worry, you can bust through it! I have a suspicion that you are eating too little. Where did you get your BMR numbers from, out of curiosity? Also, how active are you during the day?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What's important: Finding a calorie level that allows you to lose weight at a healthy rate. Sticking consistently to your calorie goal. Logging accurately. Checking progress reliably. Realistic expectations. Patience.

What's not important: Macro split. Body type. Gluten. Sugar. Liquid calories. Exercise.

The answer is simple. You are eating more than you think. Weigh everything you eat on an electronic food scale. Check entries with reliable sources (USDA, food label) before you log. Don't have cheat days. What has your average intake been during that last 1.5 months? Do you weigh yourself regularly, and under similar conditions?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You have inconsistent logging, use a food scale and pick the right entries from the database. watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I went back about a month in your diary. You've skipped about 9 days of the last 30. Are you logging those days somewhere else? Unfortunately it's really easy to overeat when we aren't logging. If those are cheat or treat days, they may be wiping out your deficit.
  • cranberry509
    Options
    Hey! I am a fellow 5'5er here! I started my weight loss efforts at around 190 lbs (13.5 stone according to google). I, too, have a more endomorphic body shape, although I don't really put much stock in somatotypes because they are too rigid to describe the diverse body types that people have... I think somatotypes might have actually been debunked in terms of weight loss.

Have you tried taking measurements with a body measuring tape? Just to check if you've lost any inches? I always hate hearing this one because I don't even trust myself to take accurate measurements... I have a suspicion that I measure myself in slightly different places every time... I should get markers tattooed on my body lol.

It sounds like you are just in a plateau. Don't worry, you can bust through it! I have a suspicion that you are eating too little. Where did you get your BMR numbers from, out of curiosity? Also, how active are you during the day?

Hi!
    I have not taken any measurements because I would cry to see how overweighted I am :( I look awful, fat everywhere, it now appeared on my calves).

I took my BMR from bodybuilding.com website: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm and it gives me 1641 kcal/day so based on this result I cut my calories to 1200 kcal/day (or bit more). I have a very sedative job (8 hours behind the desk).
  • cranberry509
    Options
    What's important: Finding a calorie level that allows you to lose weight at a healthy rate. Sticking consistently to your calorie goal. Logging accurately. Checking progress reliably. Realistic expectations. Patience.

What's not important: Macro split. Body type. Gluten. Sugar. Liquid calories. Exercise.

The answer is simple. You are eating more than you think. Weigh everything you eat on an electronic food scale. Check entries with reliable sources (USDA, food label) before you log. Don't have cheat days. What has your average intake been during that last 1.5 months? Do you weigh yourself regularly, and under similar conditions?

I do what you just said: I weight everything on a scale. I records everything I can from the food labels, if in doubt, I check on reliable websites. I check my weight on the same scale in exact the same place in my hall and the same time in the morning after the shower. I was realy suprised to see I put 4 pounds in two weeks after sticking to my diet. I take 1200 kcal/day in average or more, never less as I am aware this is dangerous in a long term.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi!
    I have not taken any measurements because I would cry to see how overweighted I am :( I look awful, fat everywhere, it now appeared on my calves).

I took my BMR from bodybuilding.com website: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm and it gives me 1641 kcal/day so based on this result I cut my calories to 1200 kcal/day (or bit more). I have a very sedative job (8 hours behind the desk).

Hmm. Do you have health care? Perhaps you could have a screening to get your RMR from a doctor? Or have testing to make sure your hormones are in balance? Just a thought.

I know it sounds crazy, but I would suggest eating at maintenance for a little while. If you really are being precise with your food intake and you still aren't losing, it could be that your body has just adapted to a low calorie diet and you're no longer getting the most out of your weight loss efforts. After eating at maintenance for a short period, you could continue to incrementally lower your calorie allowance (by like 50-100 cal at a time) as you see fit. I think a lot of people end up eating too little without trusting that their body can handle more.
  • cranberry509
    Options
    I went back about a month in your diary. You've skipped about 9 days of the last 30. Are you logging those days somewhere else? Unfortunately it's really easy to overeat when we aren't logging. If those are cheat or treat days, they may be wiping out your deficit.

Yes, my diary is not consistent sometimes, I missed few days but I sticked to diet pretty well and I based on previous entries. I sometimes do not record what I had (weekends or evenings) however, again, I base on prevous entries when having a meal.

You may be right I miss something. I will try to logg everything and be more and very consistent
  • cranberry509
    Options
    nuttynanners, this was my plan to see my doctor to check my hormones just in case. I will think about eating at maintenance to see what's going to happen. Others suggested I should be consistent with the entries and weight everything so I will act from tonight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi!

BMR is the calories you expend if you are bedridden. My OH's mother is in a nursing home and could use BMR. What you want is to subtract from is your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure.

However, it would be simpler to just plug your stats into MFP http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided and use the number it gives you. MFP uses the NEAT system. It doesn't factor in exercise, and since you don't currently exercise, that would be perfect for you.

So, since at 1200 calories you are undereating, yet not losing weight, I can say with confidence that there is an issue with your food logging.
  • cranberry509
    Options
    kshama2001, I set up my goals using MFP goals guided, I choose to loose 1 kg per week, and as the result I got: Daily Nutrition Goals -Calories 1200 and that I would loose 1.6 kg by May 22nd. So 320 gramms per week what I find a little bit suprising. Just wonder if this calculator is right?

Anyway, you are apparently right when saying there is an issue with my food logging. I will have to look into it because to date result is putting me off.