Not always hitting my protein goals

Options
I was looking through my dairy and noticed some days i'm WAY low on my protein. I'm curious if adding a low calorie protein drink would be a bad idea?

I work out 6x a week. I do a cardio/aerobic workout 3 days a week (a lot of jump-type moves, burpees, jump rope, running,etc) -45 minutes worth and then do 3 days worth of strength (bench press, rows, deadlifts, curls) and Sunday is my rest day.

I'm on a deficit by the way.

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I definitely use protein bars and protein shakes to supplement myself such that I can meet protein goals and still eat the meals I feel like having. No real problem to doing so except they are pretty pricey.

Of course, also make sure your protein goals are reasonable. A lot of people overstate protein needs (for example, assuming that the goals appropriate for a professional bodybuilder are applicable to a random dieter).
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I only go off what MFP gives and it gives me a goal of 60 -- and sometimes i'm about 20 off. Then if i add in exercise MFP ups it to 75. But sometimes i can actually go over protein (by about 10).

I'm honestly not sure what i should get, so many state different things. I'm 136 pounds, female.

• kimberleyford77
    kimberleyford77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    I was looking through my dairy and noticed some days i'm WAY low on my protein. I'm curious if adding a low calorie protein drink would be a bad idea?

I work out 6x a week. I do a cardio/aerobic workout 3 days a week (a lot of jump-type moves, burpees, jump rope, running,etc) -45 minutes worth and then do 3 days worth of strength (bench press, rows, deadlifts, curls) and Sunday is my rest day.

I'm on a deficit by the way.

I hope i.m not piggy backng your posting but . . . . Same issue with me! :smiley: I.m also doing just about the same amount of exercise - perhaps a little more running and one day less strength. I was just about to post this very subject :smile: The gold standard protein shakes are only around 500 kilo joules single scoop working out to be about a dollar a scoop buying the huge bucket. I.m going to start adding protein shakes to bring up my protein levels and aide my weight loss. Any advice?
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was having this same problem and added protein shakes and I have a ton more energy now. They are quick and convenient... The one I like is isopure zero carb it's a little pricey but is lactose free and doesn't bother my stomach....

A lot of places offer single serve packets might be worth it to grab a couple different kinds and see what you like best
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    If any macro matters during weight loss, it's protein. What MFP gives you is actually considered the minimum, especially if you are working out as much as you do.

So yes, finding any way to supplement your protein may be benefitial if you notice that you are not meeting it. I often am in the same boat, and find that protein shakes really get me where I need to be.
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I struggle too, I get about 100 protein a day, but still short about 20g. I try to double my meat portions during meals, and eat plenty of nuts and Greek yogurt.
  • meaganseafit
    meaganseafit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are an awesome way to get in some extra protein without all the carbs - but careful with the calories on some of them! I usually make a protein smoothie bowl at the end of the day with either ice or frozen fruit, a scoop of protein, and some cashew milk - it's basically ice cream and it's amazing!
  • TheRiceLord
    TheRiceLord Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Its all about consistency. I eat .6 grams of protein per pound for a month now and I'm getting results. Muscle gain and fat loss. Before I didn't really count, but I still lost 20lbs of fat and gained at least 5 lbs of muscle. That time it was like .3 grams of protein per pound for 5 months, with lifting 6 days a week. But now things are going at a faster rate.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes and protein bars. I'll say it's important to find one that agrees with your digestion (there are different types of protein) and also my personal preference is to pay attention to the carbs/sugar/fat in the drink. I am not anti-carb, but I'm trying to get the best protein bang for my calorie buck. The ones I like are ~20g from 100 calories. Optimal Nutrition is pretty common, they are around 20g for 120 calories. Too much more than that and I find it is too high calorie for the protein I get.

Increasing lean meats and other protein sources in your other meals can help too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Some people like them, but I don't find them tasty or satisfying. If you do, go for it. It's important to get enough protein, especially in a calorie deficit!

But, if they don't really appeal to you, check out this thread in the forum for some calorie-efficient protein sources. You don't say, but if you're vegan/vegetarian, you may have to scroll down a bit in the referenced spreadsheet, but the veg sources are in there.

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, and get what I consider enough protein (100+g/day for a 120-pound body weight) from food, with no fake meat, protein bars or powders. It's not a quasi-religious thing avoiding those, I just don't find them tasty or satisfying.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Being a few points below protein is ok. But not a lot. I also use protein shakes and protein bars. But make sure you are using good protein shakes and good protein bar. Some are filled with only fillers and sugar and don't help at all.
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've only been counting my calories since January but at the beginning I had the same issue. I drank protein drinks (protein powder with water + ice) but as I got used to adjusting my diet, I'm able to meet the protein minimum w/o the protein powder. For example, for breakfast I used to have 1 egg. Now I'll do 2 eggs or 1 egg plus some egg whites. Lunch typically includes a chicken breast patty that's about 20 grams of protein. It seemed like a lot of protein at first but I'm used to it now. I still like my protein powder. It's been really helpful if I find I am under, it's the end of the day and I don't have a lot of calories leftover.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I occasionally supplement with protein powder/bars, but maybe a few times a week. Just because they tend to have a lot of calories too. I do supplement with Quest protein chips almost daily. But I can usually hit between 100-120g per day from natural sources pretty easily.
  • nzureik23
    nzureik23 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I like protein bars and shakes, but I try to get my proteins from lean meats instead. You can double your lean meat portions throughout the day to meet your goal - sometimes for a snack I'll eat a grilled chicken breast or turkey breast roast that I have prepared if I know that I haven't reached my protein goal for the day. Also hard boiled egg whites are a good snack that have protein and not many calories.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i use protein bars (mostly quest bars) and protein powder (solgar whey to go vanilla, which i sweeten myself) as i need the protein and the convenience is unbeatable. also sometimes i'll just measure out 92 grams of egg whites onto a small paper plate, microwave for 142 seconds and eat them.

but greek yogurt is also a great source of protein. i especially like dannon light & fit cherry, although the lime, coconut are both tasty. only 80 calories, and you could have them as a snack, part of a meal or dessert.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Not going to hurt any for that reason. I like Core Power, but they can be a bit pricey, protein bars you can at least usually find on sale and are also treat-like. :smile:
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I completely forgot about protein bars! Today was another day that i ended up being below protein.. So definitely going to buy some protein.. I remember having a Nugo bar, they have a mint chocolate chip that i enjoy.

Anyone eat those? Or maybe casein protein?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It can also be done with food; egg whites, white fish, turkey, chicken, ham, yogurt, and cottage cheese are all the highest protein per calorie ratio foods. Protein powder is great, especially to make sweet treats like protein waffles, pancakes, custard, and frozen fruit protein ice cream. I'm not a fan of bars because of the high eat to make them diminishes the nutritional value regardless of the protein grams listed, but they sure taste good on occasion.