running plan

Options
amackg
amackg Posts: 48 Member
My goal is to run 3 miles in 21 minutes, I run about 3 times a week between 2-4 miles, what should I be doing t reach my goal?

Replies

• PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Intervals, tempo runs, hills, and increase the distance for easy runs weekly or so.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I did a Google search last night on how to run faster and found several articles with tips like mentioned ^^ also check out any local running shoe stores. They might have weekly run groups that you could join for training.
  • amackg
    Options
    Intervals, tempo runs, hills, and increase the distance for easy runs weekly or so.
    In any order or just switch em randomly
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Increase your distance.

What's your current best 5k time?
  • amackg
    Options
    Increase your distance.

What's your current best 5k time?

This year about 25
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Do an Adidas MiCoach program. It will create a plan for you with a goal of whatever time you choose. It will include tempo, distance, threshold, intervals, negative split, and speed work. I would also suggest running at least 4 days a week and at least two days a week of core work.

Edit: Once you hit 21 mins, it is not unreasonable to aim for even faster times.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    amackg wrote: »
    ... what should I be doing t reach my goal?

Get hold of a 5K improvement plan.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Tempos and intervals are good - but before you try that, I would suggest increasing your running volume. To get faster, aim to up the 6-12 miles per week you're logging now to 20-30 miles per week. Obviously you don't want to triple your mileage from one week to the next, but I have never thought the 10% rule made a lot of sense unless you were already running 30 mpw or more - you can safely increase faster than that if you are not running many miles to start with (if you are not challenged by the distances you're currently running).

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Build up your distance.