Counting Calories?

Options
Hi everyone!

I am new to this site (all through I logged in 7 monts ago or so). I have done MANY diets over time but never counting calories. Monday night I start a healthier way of living with my Dr. and the clinic I go to. They offer free "diet classes" for 6 months all based on counting calories. Tuesday will be my start day. I know this sounds like a dumb question, but is it hard? I think with MFP it will be easier to track what I eat on my phone.

I am a little scared, right now I eat about 4000 to 5000 calories a day and will be eating 1800 on this plan. I know a big part is always being prepared, any other tips anyone has I would love to hear.

Replies

• lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
  • bhakt01
    bhakt01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I will honestly say it was hard for me at first. I started and went strong for a while and then ended up taking a break again, but now I"ve gotten back in the routine. It has definitely help me keep track of things that I have eaten throughout the day and it visually shows me the good and the bad choices I have made. I now think twice before everything I eat.
    One tip is to drink lots of water throughout the day. It has helped me a lot! I drink a glass before a meal and take sips during. Another thing that has helped me become more active is to workout during times that I would normally be sitting on the couch watching my show. I watch my shows and workout at the same time and it has started to help me already!

Good luck!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    just keep journaling - even if you overeat one day, journal it, forgive yourself, and do better the next day.

Also that seems like a huge reduction in calories, are you sure that's right? Don't forget if you're active (a job that keeps you on your feet) or workout you get to eat more.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    it will be hard at first, you will have to learn to make the right choices, some foods are high in calories and don't fill you up, others are low in calories and fill you up, but I found that this program helps a lot to eat balanced and when you see where you made the wrong choices it helps to be better. But after being on the right way for a few weeks you will feel better and more energized and that is a lot of motivation.
    Good luck!!!
  • chang10
    chang10 Posts: 6
    Options
    Yep, 1800 is what they gave me. Let me tell you I was a little shocked at first, but when I think about it now, I didn't eat all day and night but it's what I was eating. A venti Starbucks frap or a Mc Donalds mocha McFrape (680 cal) plus what ever breakfast I chose. A lot of creamer with my coffee, a large coke everyday. Would got out for lunch, then ate dinner at home all high calorie foods with. I agree journaling is very important. I need to keep with me at all times low cal foods fill me up. :smile:
  • grace1611
    grace1611 Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi you won,t be hungry if eat loads of veg , if you don,t like veg make it into soup. Oh always plan ahead have an idea of what you are having for your next meal. Keep your food journal. Eat berries and yoghurt.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Yep, 1800 is what they gave me. Let me tell you I was a little shocked at first, but when I think about it now, I didn't eat all day and night but it's what I was eating. A venti Starbucks frap or a Mc Donalds mocha McFrape (680 cal) plus what ever breakfast I chose. A lot of creamer with my coffee, a large coke everyday. Would got out for lunch, then ate dinner at home all high calorie foods with. I agree journaling is very important. I need to keep with me at all times low cal foods fill me up. :smile:

Oh you were drinking your calories - yeah those sugar coffee drinks are tough. If 1800 is 2 lbs a week you might want to try 1lb a week first - one of the big causes of dieting failure is when you overreach and end up getting frustrated and stressed by it. Its easier to make changes in 2 small stages than to make 1 huge change all at once.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I love your ticker picture susanne, it looks like my mom's dog!