Cheap healthy recipes!!!

Options
JoshuaJarrett
JoshuaJarrett Posts: 21 Member
Hey!!! Just looking for good recipes if on a strict monthly budget,love to what you guys have come up with

Replies

• kirakinss
    kirakinss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My lunch (stuffed eggplant) and dinner (vegetable kabobs and seitan) today:

e0kkca6cpn77.jpg
    lvd4bfhmx4sm.jpg

Relatively budget friendly depending on the price of produce in your area though. But when I'm on a budget at college I tend to buy a load of carbs aka bread/potatoes/beans and my favorite - lentils. All super cheap but they pack in the nutrients and calories so it gets the job done.
  • meaganseafit
    meaganseafit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like making salad with chicken and whatever veggies are currently on sale haha. I usually buy a head of iceberg lettuce and cut it up so it's "shredded" (adds more volume to the meal) and then cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, or whatever kind of other veggies happen to be on sale at the time. :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I got top round steaks, 3 per pack; each steak under 3.5 ounces; for under $3.00 in Brooklyn, NY, possibly cheaper elsewhere?

Pounded them tender. On gentle heat, sauteed some sliced onion and garlic briefly in olive oil.

On top of the onions, I browned the steaks on both sides then took them out while I continued with the onion/garlic saute.

When the onions were nice and toasted, and there was fond (aka "shmutz" in our house) browning the pan, I de-glazed with a combo of dry red wine, low sodium beef stock and fresh lemon juice, flavored up with some spices and most of the peel from the lemon.

Then put the beef with its juices back in the pan. Covered the whole thing up and brought to a boil. Let simmer for about 30 minutes. Took meat out again and put it in a container.

Reduced the onion/garlic stock to a thick sauce. Poured it over the cooked steaks. Let everything come to room temp, then put a lid on and put the whole thing to rest in the refrigerator.

Tomorrow morning, I'll take one steak out and microwave it back warm, while toasting a (whole wheat) English muffin - the small round steaks fit in there almost perfectly. Will make a "sammich" for lunch at the office, with some greens layering between the muffin and meat. The sauce will take the place of ketchup, russian or any other dressing.

With a total six small steaks, between 2.5 and 3.5 ounces each, that's a week's worth of lunch, and I know pretty much every nutritional aspect in there.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas to play off of!
  • JoshuaJarrett
    Options
    ahh you guys seem to have read my mind all sound really good ill be sure to go thrue this list at the store.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Cook from scratch:
    A big batch of dried lentils or beans is only about 17cents a serving
    Old fashioned oats are about 14 cents a serving
    Rice is about 8 cents a serving
    Drink water instead of buying soda, coffee, juices
    Limit processed foods, convenience foods, snack foods, junk foods, fast foods.
    Shop bakery outlets if you eat bread. Go to ethnic grocery stores. I find Mexican & Asian stores generally have cheaper produce and Indian stores have cheaper spices & legumes than regular chain grocery stores. Buy what's in season, what's on sale, check the clearance bins too.
    Plant edibles, harvest the seeds or cuttings & replant next year.
    Find free food all around you by foraging: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Foraging-Wild-Edible-Plants.aspx
    After you grow, forage, or make your own foodstuffs- then swap with others nearby. Check out http://foodswapnetwork.com
  • JoshuaJarrett
    Options
    That is a great idea,I've actually have been contemplating starting a garden my mother was raised in a farm and has offered to help just gotta find if or where to plant maybe hanging pots (horrible soil in the yard)
  • zakierabdo3
    zakierabdo3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I first started my clean easting journey I bought piles of fresh veg/fruit and they started to go stale within a few days so I wasted lots of money... I've now switched to frozen veg I.e spinach, carrots, sprouts, kale, green beans & even bags of the supermarkets own brand for £1 a bag sometimes under. They last me so long and I can do so much with them. Same goes for fish fillets.
    Tinned mixed beans are a great way of bulking up salads/double & also very cheap to buy as well as quick to make!
    (I know you wanted recepies, but thought this may be of help in terms of your tight budgeting)

Most of my dinner recepies start with me simply sautéing veg, seasoning & just adding some cooked tuna/chicken & topping with chilli flakes.
    I do the same for my egg white omelettes! You can make so many . I find having a variety of seasonings will help you make the most out of simple, low fat ingredients and help keep you within your budget.
    I do hope this helps.

• rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    When I first started my clean easting journey I bought piles of fresh veg/fruit and they started to go stale within a few days so I wasted lots of money... I've now switched to frozen veg I.e spinach, carrots, sprouts, kale, green beans & even bags of the supermarkets own brand for £1 a bag sometimes under. They last me so long and I can do so much with them. Same goes for fish fillets.
    Tinned mixed beans are a great way of bulking up salads/double & also very cheap to buy as well as quick to make!
    (I know you wanted recepies, but thought this may be of help in terms of your tight budgeting)

Most of my dinner recepies start with me simply sautéing veg, seasoning & just adding some cooked tuna/chicken & topping with chilli flakes.
    I do the same for my egg white omelettes! You can make so many . I find having a variety of seasonings will help you make the most out of simple, low fat ingredients and help keep you within your budget.
    I do hope this helps.

Spot on advice. Instead of following a recipe which almost always involves a trip to the store for missing ingredients, find a few favorite cooking techniques like stir fry or omelette that can be applied to whatever you have on hand.
    I like to make curry for supper. Pretty much any assortment of veg will do- sautéed then simmered down in curry spices & liquid like coconut milk (or other type milk), or fruit juice, or vegetable broth (or a mix of them). It's a great way to use up bits of this & that left in the fridge. I serve it with plain rice or lentils & a dab of Greek yogurt to calm the heat.
    Easy cheap breakfast is cooked oats- which can be topped or flavored many ways, or a smoothie made up of whatever fruit & veg in the house are starting to turn.