Pain between shoulder blades?

Options
I started strength training this week, and yesterday I got up the courage to go to the upper body section with the big boys and got a pretty good workout. But when I woke up, I had this searing pain between my shoulder blades. My husband massaged it and it feels a bit better but still hurts. He thinks I should take the day off, but I'm not sure. Have any of you had this pain and worked out through it?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It could be a multitude of things if it's in the center of your shoulders blades, and even if it's your first time doing heavy weight reps in a long time, or ever for that matter. R.I.C.E ..... take off and let it heal a day or so and see how you feel.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    He thinks I should take the day off, but I'm not sure.

You don't have to take the day off, but most fitness professionals don't recommend working the same muscle group 2 days in a row. :+1:
  • meaganseafit
    meaganseafit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your form is on point when your working out and you should be fine. If you've just worked out a group of muscles you've never worked on before, it's probably gonna hurt for a few days! Them DOMS will getchya if you're not careful. Just make sure you're doing some stretching on whatever muscle group you worked right after you're done the workout (you'll want to do it while your body is still warm, otherwise you might do more harm than good). :) If it really persists you can seek professional advice - I'd recommend a good RMT (massage) as that's usually what helps the most!