Type 2 diabetes

Options
kimc7511
kimc7511 Posts: 27 Member
I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Looking to change my lifestyle to improve my health. I'm looking for those that are willing to give encouragement as well as share their successes. We can do this!

Replies

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't have it, but predisposed I guess as it runs very commonly in my close family.. what diet are you going to choose to help it, or are you just concentrating on weight loss?
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    i used to have type 2 and reversed it, so it can be done, you just have to stick to it, change it hard but change is worth it.

48wmctz4hte8.png

Just had to say well done btw! That's a lot of weight!! I tried to get my tracker thingy to show up on my posts but although I set it to - it still doesn't?! Odd - mind you...my weight loss is very modest compared to yours! Fantastic :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    i used to have type 2 and reversed it, so it can be done, you just have to stick to it, change it hard but change is worth it.

48wmctz4hte8.png

Just had to say well done btw! That's a lot of weight!! I tried to get my tracker thingy to show up on my posts but although I set it to - it still doesn't?! Odd - mind you...my weight loss is very modest compared to yours! Fantastic :)

I think you have to copy and paste your ticker into every post.
  • SimonCamilleri
    SimonCamilleri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just been diagnosed with type 2 as well. I have the same goals!
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options

48wmctz4hte8.png

Thank you! What a nightmare though... lol
  • Christine_72
    Options

48wmctz4hte8.png

Lol I know. I couldn't be bothered :tired_face: If people are interested in seeing my ticker they can go to my profile :smile:

• BelleCakes2018
    Options

48wmctz4hte8.png

Lol I know. I couldn't be bothered :tired_face: If people are interested in seeing my ticker they can go to my profile :smile:

That would have been so much funnier if a man has just posted that! (lol, sorry for sense of humour!)
  • Christine_72
    Options

48wmctz4hte8.png

That would have been so much funnier if a man has just posted that! (lol, sorry for sense of humour!)

Haha very good! :laugh:
  • TheTagman
    TheTagman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am also a type 2...I'm trying to reverse the situation with a low carb/keto diet....Still trying to figure it all out but I'm getting better at it every day!
  • kimc7511
    kimc7511 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mirabelle1983: I'm meeting with a diabetic educator now. She would like me to do more of a low carb diet. I never realized how much I ate until I started logging it. Wow! No wonder I'm overweight!

• BelleCakes2018
    Options
    kimc7511 wrote: »
    Mirabelle1983: I'm meeting with a diabetic educator now. She would like me to do more of a low carb diet. I never realized how much I ate until I started logging it. Wow! No wonder I'm overweight!

Well we've all been there! Although they say with low carb or keto you don't really need to count calories, it's so eye opening when you do! It's all too easy to overindulge even on low carb, so I think it's a good idea to maybe not count - but at least track everything so you know how much you're taking in.
    It would be good to hear your experience on it if you decide to try it kim :)
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    TheTagman wrote: »
    I am also a type 2...I'm trying to reverse the situation with a low carb/keto diet....Still trying to figure it all out but I'm getting better at it every day!

There is a low carb group and a keto group on here tagman. If you want I can send you the links or you can just find them if you search in the groups section. They are on the first couple of pages of results.. the low carb is a bit more active than the keto one. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was insulin resistant for almost a decade, and T2 diabetic for a decade after that. My diabetes is in remission after bariatric surgery and significant weight loss.

Diabetes is a manageable disease, and with vigilance, you can have a much brighter outcome including more energy every day. In essence you are taking over what for regular people the pancreas does for them. You will have to pay attention to how many carbs you are taking in a meal, and balance it out with the other macros (protein and fat), and lots of veggies help a lot to fill in the corners.

This diagram was most helpful when I was learning to plate my food.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/?referrer=https://www.google.ca/
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Dr. Jason Fung is very successful helping patients reverse type 2 diabetes. Check out his work. He is really on the forefront of research and treatment.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/category/lectures/type-2-diabetes-lecture-series/

Part of his intensive dietary management is a low carb high fat diet, of course :)
  • Carmen666279
    Carmen666279 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 4 weeks. Very overwhelming to overhaul and change lifestyle. So far have cut out soft drinks and sweets - BLG are still too high and same to average around 10.
  • TheRiceLord
    TheRiceLord Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting should help. Do extensive research before you start. I lost 20 pounds of pure fat.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    What symptoms did you all have my weights always yoyoing & my Nan and aunt maternal had type 2 so I am concerned
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Please see Krisstastic other post as her achievements here are understated-
    Hey! I've lost 103 pounds and reversed my type 2 diabetes..and yep, i still eat cake ;)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36167603#Comment_36167603