Ladies, can you.....

Angela937
Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
Can you exercise during your period, or just take the week off?

I bleed so much and have such bad cramps that I take the week off. But I am super strict with my diet to make up for it.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I took a ballet class while I was having horrendous cramps, years ago, and found that the grand plies really helped! Exercise is still my favorite way to deal with pain.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,725 Member
    Exercise is supposed to be good for cramps.

But, then again, the only thing that will keep me from exercising will be someone cutting off my legs.

And even then...strength training!
  • Rockchick09
    Rockchick09 Posts: 200 Member
    edited April 2016
    Yeah I exercise. Even though everything hurts way more at the time (I do pole dancing)

Usually the cramps and the pain goes away and as soon as you loose weight your won't bleed as much
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    I now have meds for cramps
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Sorry the rest didn't show up on my post. So this is the first period in years I've been able to exercise through, so I didn't gain my usual 5-7lbs!! Just wish menopause would hurry up 'cause hot flashes + summer = horrid!
  • Springflowerlover
    Springflowerlover Posts: 3 Member
    I do sometimes. It depends. Sometimes I just take the day off if I am cramping really bad, but sometimes it doesn't even effect me. I think that it is smart to just listen to your body. Yes, sometimes the cramps go away with exercise and everything is fine but sometimes they don't, and so I take it easy on those days.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    heyaberg wrote: »
    Yeah I exercise. Even though everything hurts way more at the time (I do pole dancing)

Usually the cramps and the pain goes away and as soon as you loose weight your won't bleed as much

I bleed MORE now (down 73#) than I did before I began dieting.

I bleed pretty heavily (need to swap out every hour, minimum, no matter what I use on my 2 heaviest days). I exercise....i feel better.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I can't really skip training just because I'm bleeding...
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    I generally take Day 1 off on account of the lethargy and nausea. Some months aren't bad and I don't have to skip the gym. But the days that suck really suck so I stay home and pout like a child.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It honestly depends for me. Some months the nausea is too bad for any serious movement. Sometimes I push through it and do a light workout. Some months I don't. And some months aren't bad at all and I don't have any troubles exercising.

I think sometimes people give the impression in threads like these that people should just suck it up and workout no matter what. But everyone is different in this. Some people can't get out of bed during their period. Some people aren't bothered by it at all. Listen to your body. Experiment. And see what works best for you.