Eating out

Options
newrach16
newrach16 Posts: 6 Member
Hello , sorry if this sound stupid but it's just my third day here , I am still getting my head round logging everything in , but today I'm having a meal out and a bit worried how could I log that in as it's a buffet restaurant . Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but I don't log meals out. I just try not to go overboard and then get back to my regular logging the next day.

Also figure if you get on the scale for the next day or so afterwards, you WILL see an increase in weight, but don't take that too seriously because it will be water weight (from the increase in sodium - with which restaurant food is absolutely loaded). You will get rid of that in a few days, so don't be alarmed. It's not a fat gain.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Logging restaurant meals is a guessing game. I try to make balanced choices in menu while still enjoying myself. Assume that if you log, you'll be over for the day. Keep a mental record of approximately how much of each buffet item you eat (ie: 1/2 C of fried rice) and try to log that from the MFP database later. Although it won't fit into your day, it will give you a ballpark idea of how quickly a restaurant meal can add up. Over time, you can learn to adjust your week to help accommodate a night out (ie: "save" 100 calories per day for a few days to give yourself some extra calories on the night out).
    In the end, this is all about finding a sustainable balance. Life will always offer days out, parties and cake. We just need to find the way to keep the balance. You can do this.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Dam good question. Make it easier if calories are indicated on the each food per 100 grams just like the fast food chains in Australia.
    Buffet restaurants is to really over indulge. I try and only have one plate of food of the better quality stuff and as best I can estimate.
    If you keep going back for bit more you loss track easily as I used to do. I eat slowly now so I realize I'm full as it take ~20 minutes for my brain to register (no just my brain). I
  • flower8330
    flower8330 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured this out yet either. I do whip out my phone at the table to look stuff up so that I have a rough idea of what I have left to "spend" and how much the new meal will cost. It's so hard when there aren't calories on the menu. I know it's rude to have my phone out but I've decided that I need to put myself first in weight loss.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Ouch. If I went to a buffet I would stick to the salad bar, and ingredients I knew were light. Then I'd guesstimate what I ate. I eat out frequently and I do pretty well with grilled fish and salads.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    If it's a chain restaurant, such as Applebees, I'll google the nutrition. If I can find it, then I don't log it.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    seriously, I just guess... there really isn't anything else you can do. I try to stay away from anything sauced or fried. The good thing about a buffet is that you can fill up on the healthy stuff and veg first and then add in some treats. I always try to eat a bunch of veggies and salad first, then I tend to eat less of the caloriffic stuff on the buffet.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would have my phone in my purse and would send myself a quick e-mail or text with the items on my plate. Later, I'll have a pretty good idea of about how much I had of each item. I'd look it up, log it and be absolutely okay with the fact that it is not as accurate as I'd like.
  • charlsy1691
    charlsy1691 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just try to guess as best I can I tend to overestimate just to be on the safe side however it purely is a guessing game. Don't over think it and don't let it get in the way of you having a good time just go back to normal the next day
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I eat out a lot, but yeah buffets are tricky. If possible stick to mostly the salad stuff (with light dressing if available), and then go easy on the soups and other sides. Also realize though, that this isn't an every day occurrence so don't get too stressed out about it and enjoy your meal :)
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If I can find nutritional info online then I will log it.

But if its a buffet...I go mental but just make sure I don't eat anything else that day and work out and really only go for the quality stuff (avoid chips/fries/garlic bread/samosas etc, I dont eat things I can make at home. That includes salad.).

Oh! And I don't get HUGE plates of one thing. Get a teeny bit of everything you fancy and really enjoy it.

I'm fairly sure that when I follow my own rules (Vegas, PMS and hangover buffets 100% do not count I'm not talking about them haha), it will usually come in between 1700 - 2100 calories for that days intake which I can handle.

Goddamn....now I want a buffet.
  • markag1990
    markag1990 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Logging food when eating out is a hard thing to do. I don't log food when eating out. Just try eat as clean as possible and rent start logging again next day. Some places tell you the amount of kals in the food. So if I can I just add them on and dint worry about the macros.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I found that a lean meat with veggies will be within budget. Skip the bread and potatoes. With a buffet you got to manage portions. If its a chinese buffet I have no idea, I pretty much stopped eating Mexican and Chinese because it is difficult to log or count.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Take a good look at a cup measure before you go and get a feel for that volume. Also try weighing a piece of meat and get a grasp of what 2 oz. and 4 oz. looks like. Shoot for serving sizes in that range, with not too many different dishes. You can do a lot of logging on your smart phone, or take pictures of your plate for later examination, but the big thing is: serve yourself about 1/2 of what you normally would, to cut down on unpleasant surprises later when you look it all up. If you stay away from sauces and gravies and cheese and bread and dessert, and you serve yourself once on a small plate and forgo seconds, you'll do fine! Sooner or later we all have to learn to serve ourselves the right amount from a basically unlimited supply of food, so this is good practice.
  • newrach16
    newrach16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice , very much appreciated, I went out that day and was very good , I choose sauteed over fried and only ate what I really like , not just what's there , and I was good the rest of the week .
  • ndidonatobarger
    ndidonatobarger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    very hard, but give yourself a cheat day and maybe save most of your calories for the buffet.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    For me, since I don't eat out often I don't log it. I treat it as a cheat meal and get back to work the next day.

If it was a regular occurence I'd probably be looking into trying to find nutrition information for the restaurant online, guessing portions sizes etc. I'm sure people who eat out a lot will have better tips.