FitBit help??

Options
Hello!
I am needing advice on where to set my "daily activity" if I plan on wearing a fitbit all day. I want my fitbit to track my activity so I get a more true reading. I would say I'm a fairly active person. I teach elementary school, and have 3 children, so I am always on the go. If I set my MFP activity to "lightly active" or "active" and also have my fitbit sync up, will it allow me too many calories in a day? Should I set it to "sedentary" and let the fitbit do the rest?
Thank you!

Replies

• go_getter89
    go_getter89 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to 7,000 then wore it for a week while just living my normal routine. When I started going back to gym I upped it to 10,000. When you are active but stationary it can be hard to meet your steps goal.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No, it will give you no extra calories until you get to the level set, then will start adding. It doesn't really matter where you set it, it all evens out in the end.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Doesn't matter. If you set it higher then Sedentary, enable negative adjustments so that your calories get adjusted down on your not so active days.

Here's an example of an adjustment for you:
    hdv2y3024sm3.png

Your activity level selection determines what MFP'S estimated burn is. Higher activity level, higher estimated burn which means it takes longer to get an adjustment. Lower activity level, easier to get positive adjustments and the adjustment will be larger than if you selected a higher activity level.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    MFP it will only give you exercise calories after fitbit's prediction of your cal burned for the day exceeds MFP calculation of what calories you will burn for the day. So if you set MFP as sedentary and you are lightly active you will see exercise calories added from early on in the day.

Personally I have mine set to sedentary, I am actually lightly active with no exercise (I have 3 kids too). That way MFP only gives me extra calories after I have earned them with no expectation of activity for the rest of the day. I have seen people mention calories being added then taken away over the course of the day and my interpretation was this was a mixture of MFP setting being above sedentary and not syncing enough. I dont actively eat my exercise calories, but if i was going to check what they were so I could eat them I would make sure I synced first.
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys!
    I have now enabled negative adjustments. I'm excited to see how this all works out.
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I walk around 15kms most days, and have mfp set to sedentary.