Chronic illness has me down but not beaten

Options
AliceAxe
AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
Hi , I joined because I am trying to do anything improve my lot in life. I have been dealing for the past 20 years with a lot of chronic disabling conditions such as Chronic fatigue syndome, fibromyalgia, myofacial pain syndrome, osteoarthritis, scoliosis, cervical and disk problems, ulcers, sinusitis and Lyme disease. Ive tried all sorts of medical treatments but still struggling badly. There is not much in way of medications I can take or help so I started doing my own home physical therapy last year and seeing a physical therapist around the first of the year. She has been great and discovering areas I can improve. Its been a real struggle but still hoping for improvement. Working on improving my nutrition , strength , endurance, range of motion, and lose wieght to take the stress off my body. This site seems realy helpful I am already learning a lot tracking my diet. Ive learned a lot from trying to be healthy and fit despite having a chronic illness. its REALY hard somedays to have motivation and faith. I would love to hear from others coping with these issues and how they are using diet and exersize to help.

I also have an unreasonable goal driving a lot of my efforts. I live near the ocean and want to learn to surf. A pretty lofty goal for someone in my condition, but a girl can dream right?

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Don't ever give up! I have lupus, bechets disease, fibro and a host of other chronic illnesses that tag along with the big ones. It's hard. It's VERY hard...but it's NOT impossible! As soon as I stopped telling myself that it was pointless and impossible, my head and my heart were in the same place and my goals started to become easier and easier to hit. You can do this <3
  • AliceAxe
    Options
    Thank you so much for your encouragement! wow so sorry to hear of your struggles.Glad to hear you have improved! that takes a lot of courage and will power. I feel the same, so many times I cry and just wnat to give up, have to drag myself to my yoga mat and do my physical therapy exersise let alone basic life needs. Plus I have 2 other people in my care that come first. Its exausting. Yup I used to be totaly bedridden from the Lyme, messed up everything, had to relearn everything, to move , walk, and also took out my cognative function, memory and ability to read write , do math etc. Im so greatful to be doing better than that but still looking for improvement.
  • nate82873
    nate82873 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi , just thought I would put my two cents in. I am 42 years old and fight chronic pain after two failed back surgeries . I haven't worked for almost a year to falling and breaking my back for the third time. I also just in the last two months had a heart attack and had a heart cath/angioplasty with two stents placed in two of the three arteries that supply blood to the heart . I am very new to this workout thing ,and really need help figuring it all out . I have joined a gym and stopped smoking after a two pack a day
    Habit for the last 20 years. So please if anyone here would like to friend me I need all the help I can get in my new life or death journey !!!
  • AliceAxe
    Options
    so sorry to hear about all your pain and troubles Nate , so great you were able to quit smoking that is so hard to do! if you can do that you can do anything. Id definately recommend the physical therapy, it has helped me identify things I didnt know I was doing wrong. wishing you healing and better health
  • melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Don't ever give up! I have lupus, bechets disease, fibro and a host of other chronic illnesses that tag along with the big ones. It's hard. It's VERY hard...but it's NOT impossible! As soon as I stopped telling myself that it was pointless and impossible, my head and my heart were in the same place and my goals started to become easier and easier to hit. You can do this <3

I love this! I too have been suffering chronic pain for about 3 years. I have tried so many managements and treatments. I let myself put on some weight when on different medications and not feeling well enough to get out of bed. I finally am managing a little better and stopped telling myself self care was pointless!

OP you are not alone! Reaching goals, whether it's weight loss, exercise goals, running distances, surfing, etc., are not linear. As you know you'll have bad days and okay days and hopefully some good ones, but you have to go at your own pace and take care of yourself along the way.
  • melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Also, my pain was about a 7 all day everyday until physical therapy, which brought it to about a 3 or 4. Physical therapy can work wonders!
  • madisondunsmore
    madisondunsmore Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi love! I myself suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome,chronic pain, fibromyalgia and a bunch of other chronic conditions..I wanted to let you know that you're not alone, I understand how hard it is to just get up everyday, let alone get motivated to eat well and workout. You're not alone in your struggle! I know you are tougher than any illness and you can do this!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @AliceAxe you have a good spirit so just keep up your. I was able to fix a lot of things by diet that my 40 years of Ankylosing Spondylitis had messed up. The big thing was cutting my pain levels from 7-8 to 2-3. As you can read there are many of us fighting our way back. Being 65 it makes me happy you younger people are getting a handle on health issues when they are more easy to reverse/manage. Best of success.
  • myhrtsnfl
    myhrtsnfl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also, my pain was about a 7 all day everyday until physical therapy, which brought it to about a 3 or 4. Physical therapy can work wonders!
    Hi love! I myself suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome,chronic pain, fibromyalgia and a bunch of other chronic conditions..I wanted to let you know that you're not alone, I understand how hard it is to just get up everyday, let alone get motivated to eat well and workout. You're not alone in your struggle! I know you are tougher than any illness and you can do this!

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @myhrtsnfl welcome to MFP forums.
  • Knight702015
    Knight702015 Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hello Ms Axe and Ms pinup. If I may be so bold. I admire people who have diseases yet keep fighting. Never give up even when the temptation to do so is overwhelming. I have seen miracles happen when a person says this disease is not going to control me I AM GOING TO CONTROL ME. Keep on striving to make your body better and you will feel better about yourself. No-one ever wins who chooses to give in.
  • AliceAxe
    Options
    so great to hear from all of you and thank you so much for the encouragement! I wish this forum would allow replys to each post directly. I commend you on your strength and bravery dealing with these conditions!
    keep fighting the good fight! and you are welcome to send me a friends request :) I blog a lot with hopefully useful articles if you want to check that out. wishing everyone healing and better health.
  • WithGodICanDoThis
    WithGodICanDoThis Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues with pain and I'm having a hard time today. The hard part for me is when I'm in pain, I want to eat! Please add me! Thanks. I'm glad I'm not alone in this struggle.
  • AnniesNest
    AnniesNest Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is this an active group? I'd love to be added as I also struggle with chronic pain, FM and serious back problems. It is hard to eat well and exercise when I feel bad most of the time. But I know I feel better when I eat well and losing weight would help a lot, too.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Surfing is not an unreachable goal; it's something to look forward to. You will get there :)

I have Crohn's, anemia, and osteoporosis. I was going through meds, but nothing really worked until I started seeing an acupuncturist. We have been working on nutrition, stress management, exercise and sleep. Everything she told me would happen did ( whereas doctors are always "there is no guarantee/scientific evidence that it will help "). I'm still taking meds, and there are still bad days where I can't even get out of bed. but the acupuncture/diet combo is easily the best decision I have made. I just attained 2 goals a couple weeks ago: rock climbing and ziplining. If I can do it, so can you!!
  • AliceAxe
    Options
    its not a group but I think that it is a good idea AnniesNest, for one for people trying to lose weight why dealing with chronic illness.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am trying to come back as well. Had to take a hiatus for a bit and gained some weight back so looking for buddies. You can add me if you like. :)
  • andrewbrewer14
    andrewbrewer14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good luck and you can do it. Slowly slowly one day at a time
  • AliceAxe
    Options
    thanks Bekah and andrew