HRM accuracy

Options
let me know if you think this is accurate... HRM said that i burned 275 calories doing the 30DS and 333 calories on a 33 minute bike ride... both of those were higher than what MFP calculated... my HRM is new and i was wearing the chest strap.

Replies

• ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is accurate, MFP is an estimate only. I always burn more then MFP says.
  • dasskinny
    dasskinny Posts: 56
    Options
    Go off your HRM, its more accutate to your body.
  • adedonder
    adedonder Posts: 7
    Options
    I would trust the HRM - it is based upon true measurements and scientific calculations. MFP is only an average of what different people burn. If you keep at it, you'll show a slight decrease in your burn for the same time and intensity workout which will mean only that you are getting into better shape and your body is becoming more efficient.
  • dp341
    dp341 Posts: 9
    Options
    Both your HRM and MFP are estimates, it's unlikely that either is really very accurate, people are just too different. Pick one to use, stick with it and after a few weeks if the weight isn't doing what you'd expect adjust manually up or down as appropriate.

I've used polar and garmin HRMs at the same time and got significantly different results neither were the same as MFP.

cheers
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If your HRM is calculated to your height, weight, age and gender then I'd go with that over MFP. I've never done 30DS but I've seen posts about it and that looks to be about right.
  • HelloKittyRx
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I just got a HRM and it said I burned 301 calories playing Dance Central on the kinect for 35 minutes. Which is AWESOME. It also said I burned 98 calories walking my dog for 22 minutes. Both of these are more than MFP.
  • LewisBirchenough
    Options
    Both your HRM and MFP are estimates, it's unlikely that either is really very accurate, people are just too different. Pick one to use, stick with it and after a few weeks if the weight isn't doing what you'd expect adjust manually up or down as appropriate.

I've used polar and garmin HRMs at the same time and got significantly different results neither were the same as MFP.

cheers

x2