140lb Weight Loss

Options
Hello! I am not new per se, though I've never introduced myself on here. So here goes, I suppose.

I'm Vanessa, I'm 24, and I've been obese since I was 5 years old. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia as a teen and the antipsychotics I was on at the time contributed to extra weight gain. At my heaviest I was 465 pounds. When I realized I was rapidly encroaching 500lbs, I knew something had the give.

I started with baby steps-- cutting out bad foods until I could learn to be responsible with them, relearning portion control, and disguising exercise as something I wanted to do simply because it was fun and not imperative to my health, such as dancing.

After each set of a few weeks passed by, I would add something new to my routine, be it a new recipe or exercise regimen or whatever. Also the use of this app made me realize how much food I had really been eating... It takes work to remain at 400 pounds...

I do swimming aerobics, and walking, and have discovered an intense love for yoga. I use portion control and I don't deprive myself of anything. If I want soda, I will have soda.

I have lost about 140lbs. I am now 324 pounds, versus 465 pounds.

I feel much more energetic and I don't feel like I can't do things because of my weight.

It's nice to meet you all and it was nice to share my story. Thank you :)

Replies

• nate82873
    nate82873 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My name is Nathan . Congrats on the weight loss up to this point.
    I can See you have the drive to finish your journey .
  • 54R4H3L1Z4B3TH
    54R4H3L1Z4B3TH Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Vanessa! I'm Sarah! Great job on your weightloss so far, that's seriously so impressive. Schizophrenia runs in my immediate family and although I don't personally have it, I empathize with those going through such struggles. Depression and anxiety are all I deal with mentally and I honestly don't think I'd be strong enough to survive a more serious illness. A few months ago I decided to finally opt out of being medicated with Wellbutrin and unfortunately gained weight from going off of it. I've recently started attending yoga classes though and I am in love with it as well! If you want a support buddy feel free to add me!
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. My older brother was diagnosed with schizophrenia when he was 15 back in 1988, and the medication as well as the illness has made healthy living difficult for him. I know you must be working really hard to take care of yourself. Congratulations on your success!!! Feel free to add me if you want support here. I log every day.