Weights or Cardio First?

Options
I'm currently doing both Body Beast and Cize....not sure which exercise I should do first to get the best results?

Replies

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to do weights first so I can maximize my strength and energy and then do cardio. I'm not sure how intense cize is but I used to insanity and I used to be pretty wiped out after that workout ...

I did a body beast & insanity max 30 hybrid but I was alternating days and not doubling up on workouts. The couple times I did do both on the same day were at different time periods.

I love body beast but I find his warm ups lacking ...I used to do p90x3 cold start or the original insanity warm ups prior to the body beast work out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For 99% of people/workouts it's purely personal choice.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I will always choose weights first. The rationale is that I am fresh when doing weights so I have more control. If I do cardio first and then do weights, I won't be as fresh and could do some serious damage to myself with the weights when tired.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Whichever you want to have more energy for!
  • meaganseafit
    meaganseafit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Whichever is closer to your goal - or whichever you prefer! If you're trying to run a marathon, maybe do cardio first since that is more goal oriented for you. If you're looking to build a leaner physique, then do weights first! I prefer weights first because that's where I want to spend my energy and cardio is just used as a burnout after I'm done my weight training. :)
  • Danny22161
    Danny22161 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone great advice! Thinking I'll do weights first as my goal is more to tone and build strength.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Danny22161 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone great advice! Thinking I'll do weights first as my goal is more to tone and build strength.

Good choice. In my experience doing cardio before weight training just led to a pretty bad workout but when I do the opposite my cardio seemed better.
  • matthewcobbett367
    matthewcobbett367 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Weights for me. Started doing tyre flips to finish.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My personal choice is lifting weights first. I feel burnt out when I do cardio before weight training.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I do weights first because I don't want to be fatigued when I get in the squat rack. I can take it really easy during cardio if I want, but it's less safe to check out a bit when lifting, and I'll never see progression if I'm not making my sets.
  • musclegirl50
    musclegirl50 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always do my strength before cardio...totally agree with broseidonkingofbrocean.

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I would say there isn't a wrong answer. I personally say mix it up. Teach your body to work when fatigued in both situations. It will make you stronger in each.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I learned in the beginning and have always been told by trainers to lift first. Couple reasons, one you need the energy to lift heavy enough and keep proper form. Second, you don't get into the fat burning until like 20 minutes in so by the time you get to cardio you are already there. That's just what I've learned and what I've always done. That being said, I do some times do cardio first. Mostly when I don't feel like doing it and want to get it out of the way. Lol
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do weights first.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will do some heavy bag work, but I do so after my weight training. I like to weight train when my glycogen stores are full. Otherwise, I don't have the energy to put forth 100%.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Weights first here. I get so sweaty during cardio. Don't need to go contaminate everything in the weight room after.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    You will find a LOT of different responses based on individual goals.

A lot of people who want to increase their weight and personal records, or who strength train with Olympic weights, etc., will do weights first to maximize their gains there. Others won't care about that and will choose cardio first to warm up, then do weights as supplemental to cardio. If you're just trying to get into shape, it really won't matter which one you do, and what you should probably do is try each one out and see which you prefer. There really isn't a right or wrong answer, but your own goals will probably shape your workouts more than anyone else's advice.

I like cardio first, because it warms up my muscles and leaves me more flexible and less cold starting weights. I find I don't have to bother to stretch, because a half mile on the treadmill and then some time on the stairs does a lot to warm up and get blood flowing before I hit the squats and everything else. A lot of trainers will tell you that you can't do as heavy, give 100%, keep proper form, blah blah blah, but I've hit plenty of PR's with my weights after cardio and never had any issues with injuries, form, or feeling too fatigued. And I lift heavy. It's all about approach and the individual. Human bodies are pretty adaptable.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    A lot of trainers will tell you that you can't do as heavy, give 100%, keep proper form, blah blah blah, but I've hit plenty of PR's with my weights after cardio and never had any issues with injuries, form, or feeling too fatigued.

Congratulations on being an outlier. :+1:
  • Pyr0catalyst
    Pyr0catalyst Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Danny22161 wrote: »
    I'm currently doing both Body Beast and Cize....not sure which exercise I should do first to get the best results?

I would try to incorporate both, really.
    Circuit training comes in handy when it comes to incorporating weights and cardio. :)

That way, you don't have to do two separate things at different times but getting them both in at the same time.