Beginner learning to exercise

Options
Okay so this is a stupid question, but umm, what do I do for exercise? I'm pretty much sedentary but I don't even know what to do. I can't afford a gym membership right now. Does walking really help? Also, I can't run more than 2 minutes without feeling like I'm dying? Has someone been like that and overcome it?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    walking really helps. if you walk continuously - it's may be better to walk slower if you must but without stopping - it works wonders. or maybe faster, then slower, then faster, then slower if it's okay with your knees and doesn't make you pant hard. when i was in terrible shape, i got in better shape just by walking daily.

• MaggieMayy959
    MaggieMayy959 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Walking doesn't bother me, just running. I see these people who say they go to the gym for like 3 hours 5 times a week and I'm like HOW?! I don't have that much time. I'm afraid the little bit of exercise I can do won't be enough
  • Dula73
    Dula73 Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Try couch to 5k (C25K) - it's a slow building programme which uses intervals of walking/running 3 times a week over 12 weeks to get you running for half an hour. Each day is about 30-45 minutes. I completed it and it really works! You should invest in proper running shoes though.
  • susanhung22
    susanhung22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    doesnt matter how many hours you do, maybe try some bodyweight squats and stretches
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Walking is great ! Start with 20 minutes a day. That's how I started and I am up to 3 miles a day after a month
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Okay so this is a stupid question, but umm, what do I do for exercise? I'm pretty much sedentary but I don't even know what to do. I can't afford a gym membership right now. Does walking really help? Also, I can't run more than 2 minutes without feeling like I'm dying? Has someone been like that and overcome it?

I've just completed week 4 of the C25K, which involves two 3minute and two 5 minute runs spaced out with walking. But with week 1 you only run for a minute at a time and walk for 90 seconds between runs and over the weeks the running time steadily increases (there's a 20 minute run in week 5). Perhaps you could give that a try, there's free apps for both Android and Apple.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

in your last thread you claim to be malnourished and dehydrated, so i don't think doing exercise is a good idea until you have seen a doctor.