NOT wanted weight gain

Options
Hi,
I started working out in the gym and eating healthy in February 2015, I lost 7 kg and was really happy until now....

The thing is,I'm really active; I work out 6 times per week (4 times in the gym and 2 times cardio (running)). Besides that I work in a hotel and my job is physical. I eat healthy and I like it, my calorie intake is around 1850 per day. (45 % carbs, 30 % protein and 25 % fat)

Here is the problem: I have gained 3 kg in 2 months without changing anything, to be honest I have worked out more than before and I have tracked my calorie intake better. I worked hard to reach my goal and now my weight keeps increasing.

With this post I am trying to find suggestions or the reason why it's happening.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you burn, it's that reason 99.9% of the time. Eating 'healthy' is too vague, you can gain weight through eating too much of what would be classed as healthy food. Whatever you're logging is probably incorrect.
  • linden_991
    linden_991 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you! I use the food scale, I scan everything and log everything. I don't think that is the problem, but you never know.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? You may have caught your last weigh-in at a low point and this weigh-in on a high point and the 3kg is just normal fluctuations.
  • simontossrwanda
    simontossrwanda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you workout 6 times a week your muscles will grow. Muscle weighs more than fat. Hence the weight gain
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you increase workouts then you hold onto more water for muscle repair, however 3kgs is quite a lot - normally its just a few lbs. You must be eating more than you realise? when we exercise more we usually feel more hungry and tend to need/want to eat more.

Tighten up your food logging. You have to be careful on MFP to not use generic entries for foods, they can be way off.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you workout 6 times a week your muscles will grow. Muscle weighs more than fat. Hence the weight gain

3kg of muscle gain in 2 months isn't really possible without steroids
  • Stevo_Ra
    Stevo_Ra Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Your weight has increased but have you increased in size? If not then you're building muscle. I'm 10lbs or so heavier than I was a year ago but in the same sized clothes.
  • linden_991
    Options
    Thank you everyone! And yes I'm still the same size which I found really weird. :D
  • Stevo_Ra
    Stevo_Ra Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you're the same size why worry? Weight is only a simple guide, surely how you look and feel is more important?
  • linden_991
    Options
    I know you are right, thank you :)
  • Nixygirl
    Nixygirl Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I had the same depression looking at the scales this morning too, it showed I'd put on 2.5-kilos in a single week! And this week I had stayed well under my calorie limit. So commiserations Linden_991, I know these feels.

The only thing I can put it down to is water retention. My periods are really infrequent (I have a birth-control implant which pretty much kills off my periods for 2 years) but I know I can gain up to 3-kilos with water when I do menstruate. Added to that is anytime my salt intake goes beyond my daily limit I retain water, which I did go over twice last week (usually my feet swell up like balloons very quickly).

So, I'm putting this down to water (or as KateTii said, weight fluctuations) and I'll hold off weighing myself for another week or so. I'm determined NOT to let this get me down, I've lost 33.5 kilos in the last 80-days, I've gone from 245kg to 211.5kg, this is just a minor blip and it will pass.

p.s Some will think a 3-kilo gain is a lot for periods, and it is. But I'm a very big girl and I know how my body works. Also, my diet is very regulated, and I am an absolute stickler when it comes to logging & weighing my food.

p.s.s Also Linden_991, it might be worth getting a check up with your Doctor, just to make sure that it's not something medical, or even medications you're using that could explain the weight gain.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Just would like to add that muscle does NOT way more than fat. 1 pound of muscle = 1 pound of fat
  • simontossrwanda
    simontossrwanda Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Just would like to add that muscle does NOT way more than fat. 1 pound of muscle = 1 pound of fat

Just as 1 pound of bricks is the same as 1 pound of feathers. But if you look at equal portions of both the muscle would weigh more, this is because muscle is more dense than fat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

SIGH here we go again. Why are people so dense? SMH.

OP, you're not gaining muscle with your diet. You're either retaining water or eating more than you think.
  • linden_991
    Options
    Okay thanks :)
  • larsminnaar
    larsminnaar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

OP, you're not gaining muscle with your diet. You're either retaining water or eating more than you think.

Where can i get your superpower of telling if someone is gaining muscle or not without ever meeting that person? Sure could use that
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Where can i get your superpower of telling if someone is gaining muscle or not without ever meeting that person? Sure could use that
    It doesn't take a superpower to know someone didn't gain 3kg in 2 months of muscle without steroids
  • larsminnaar
    larsminnaar Posts: 56 Member
    Options

It doesn't take a superpower to know someone didn't gain 3kg in 2 months of muscle without steroids

I didnt say a thing about her actually gaining 3kg of pure muscle. Im just responding to this person saying her dier is not working in general and that she isnt gaining muscle. Of course there will be fat gain in there as well and water weight but to say that there is no muscle gain is unrealistic and also impossible to back up without knowing her.