Help hitting protein goal!

Options
Hello all! First post here. Basically I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to hit my protein intake daily. My diet is mostly eggs, protein shakes, and cottage cheese but I can't seem to hit my 200g. I'm being as cost efficient as possible along with not trying to over eat (more than 2 shakes destroys my life). Any snack ideas or other low cost ideas to help me hit this?!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Whole chickens are pretty cheap
  • dbobb77
    dbobb77 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    A 3-ounce serving of six types of fish -- cod, haddock, tuna, flounder, perch and halibut -- has about 22 grams of protein and chicken breast in 4 oz portions can have up to 30 grams. With these two foods alone you could get your intake easily with a few protein shakes and try adding peanut butter to your shakes for extra protein.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Why 200g?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Do you eat meat? How about fish, tuna or chicken. I love to snack on nuts too.
  • eugnl
    eugnl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    200g is a lot, are you sure that you need that much? 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight should be sufficient.

If you do really need to eat that much, here are a few options:

Tilapia, Cod, Tuna, Haddock are all relatively low on calories and high in protein
    Chicken Breast
    Greek Yogurt
    Eggs (Whole or whites only)
    Salmon (bit of fat though)
    Chicken Thighs & Legs (really cheap, bake them and remove skin if you don't want the extra fat/cal)
    Green Lentils

Maybe your protein powder can be switched out too. If whey upsets your stomach, you can look for a whey/casein blend. Maybe the brand you are using is to blame.

• gatoraggie47
    gatoraggie47 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tried Vegan Protein from HEB. It is 20 g a scoop and no tummy upset. I can't do Creatine or whey.
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    so happy you did this post i try hitting 200g too, i mainly do aloooootttttttttt of tuna @.50cents a can its cheaper then protein but i do a mix of that egg whites and why i buy mine 5lb for 40$ so its pretty cost effective && you can buy frozen tilapia 10 of them for like 4.50 @ 20g of protein a piece
  • LeTmblwid
    LeTmblwid Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    tofu and chia seeds are low cal foods that are protein rich. You can add the seeds to drinks (protein shake) and desserts.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need that much! How much do you weigh? 0.8 X lbs body weight should be enough
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't need that much protein, but unless you already have kidney problems, there's nothing wrong with eating that much (except that it's super pricey!) The rule of thumb for maximizing gainz is usually 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body weight, but even that is excessive for the vast majority of us.

The cheapest protein I've found is this:
    1. buy whole chickens
    2. cook them for 7 hours in the crockpot
    3. make chili out of everything but the bones
    4. freeze in individual containers and thaw/eat as needed

• 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I have oat bran (better than oatmeal) cheap and reasonable source of many nutrients including protein also cheap. High in fibre etc could complement a low fibre diet to help your digestive system.
    Quinoa poridge also but more expensive. Best to soak at least overnight.
  • ShawntayG
    ShawntayG Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try all natural peanut butter and Quaker rice cakes
  • RED5_STANDBY
    RED5_STANDBY Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well I weigh 260. Right now I'm just focused on eating correctly for muscle growth. 200 should suffice. I'll try and find some fish. I live in the middle of Kansas. Can't be that hard. lol
  • 6pkdreamer
    edited April 2016
    Options
    From-
    http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/basics/protein_-_how_much

Group Protein intake (g/kg/day)
    Sedentary men and women 0.8-1.0
    Elite male endurance athletes 1.6
    Moderate-intensity endurance athletes (a) 1.2
    Recreational endurance athletes (b) 0.8-1.0
    Football, power sports 1.4-1.7
    Resistance athletes (early training) 1.5-1.7
    Resistance athletes (steady state) 1.0-1.2
    Female athletes
    ~15% lower than male athlete
  • 6pkdreamer
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Depends on your intensity- take your pick
    200 grams would be for the absolute maximum above
  • GiselleBrand
    GiselleBrand Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    200g protein seems like a high protein goal. What is your weight and how much exercise are you doing? I am quite curious.
  • GiselleBrand
    GiselleBrand Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just worked out that you are almost 118kg. This means 200g is way too much. You might want to consider some of the above suggestions. I think they could be right.
  • SuziWX
    SuziWX Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Greek yogurt has a ton of protein, especially the 0% Fage (but you can find a generic of it much cheaper...I use the Greek yogurt from Aldi if you have one of those near you). Also some types of beans, protein pasta, and of 99% lean ground turkey.
    For protein powder, I use Unico Apollo protein because it is a blend of grass-fed whey, micellar casein, & albumen (egg) proteins and much easier on the stomach. They just came out with a vegan protein as well. I like to make protein shakes with a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a cup of nonfat Greek yogurt, and a scoop of protein powder. Unico's website is uniconutrition.com and I use coupon code UNSV32 to upgrade to free FedEx shipping every time I order.
    Also recently discovered Chike coffee protein - it's a mix of espresso and protein so mixed with almond milk it tastes like an iced coffee. I found that on Amazon.
    Hope this helps!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here's an example of my breakfast this morning. I'm a 100lb female, so you could probably double this for 50+ grams of protein. Omelet with a side of skim milk and fruit.

exyck1banacn.jpg

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I like to get a lot of my protein from seafood. Fish, scallops and shrimp have a ton of protein and are low fat, low calorie.