Wasit to Hip Ratio

Options
I am very active, have a pretty low body fat%, and at a healthy weight (5'5" 129lbs) but according to the "waist to hip ratio" theory I need to lose weight in order to lessen my risk of heart disease. Any thoughts or tips on this?

Replies

• jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am very active, have a pretty low body fat%, and at a healthy weight (5'5" 129lbs) but according to the "waist to hip ratio" theory I need to lose weight in order to lessen my risk of heart disease. Any thoughts or tips on this?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Honey, there are outliers to those statistics, and some of us just naturally have large set hips. 5'5" and 129lbs... don't sweat it. Be curvaceous and love it!:wink:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Those are good child bearing hips.........:tongue:
  • pattijoan
    Options
    correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe what she was saying is that she doesn't have hips - like myself - I go straight up and down so there is not enough of a difference between our hip measurement and our waist measurement. I'm also 5'5" and 128 lbs. I wear a size 4 but I have a big, flabby belly and love handles - would love to move some of that down to my hips and booty but that's not going happen so I have to get really thin to lose the stomach...aagh
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    chrissy's right. child bearing hips. i had those since i was born....even when i was skinny. men love it!
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe what she was saying is that she doesn't have hips - like myself - I go straight up and down so there is not enough of a difference between our hip measurement and our waist measurement. I'm also 5'5" and 128 lbs. I wear a size 4 but I have a big, flabby belly and love handles - would love to move some of that down to my hips and booty but that's not going happen so I have to get really thin to lose the stomach...aagh

I'm the same way. I don't have an hourglass shape. I have more of a straight up and down shape. So even though I'm not "overweight" -- 5'4" 132 lbs -- I have a bad waist to hip ratio. My hips are only 2 inches more than my waist. So I don't use that measurement.
  • sherris
    sherris Posts: 112
    Options
    where do i find this waist to hip ratio stuff?