What am I doing wrong?

Options
Since starting Diet Chef I lost on average 1 lb per week but this week, after 5 weeks, I stayed the same. I do eat 'normally' but sensibly at the weekend or when eating out and make sure that everything I have is within my 1230 calorie allowance. This is the first time I've stuck to a diet religiously for this length of time but somehow the result doesn't match the effort I'm putting in. Any suggestions before I lose heart and fall off the wagon? :ohwell:

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Don't go by the scale only. Take your measurements. I bet you are losing inches.
  • avonchik
    avonchik Posts: 106
    Options
    Take heart!!.. Just switch up your exercise routine ... Do something different and confuse your body!! You are right on track so dont be too hard on yourself!! You are doing great!!:flowerforyou:
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about 1 week, if it was 6-8wks then I'd worry (that's a plateau). I notice that the scale is static the week of my period, maybe even gaining a pound to a pound and a half.
    I've had a week or two where the scale didn't move much but my clothes fit better so I didn't worry. Continue what you are doing and I'm sure the scale will continue to move.
  • kristie778
    kristie778 Posts: 51
    Options
    That sounds frustrating. Are you tracking every bite? You say you eat normally, but if you're eating out at all, it's SO difficult to stay at 1230 calories - I know, because I am at that calorie level and it's really challenging. Many restaurant entrees easily have 1230 calories alone. So I guess what I'm saying is that eating "normal" in the real world while staying at 1230 is almost impossible.

Also, do you exercise? Obviously, you burn extra calories by exercising, but if you do weight/strength training, you build muscle, which we lose as we get older, and keeping muscle mass really helps keep your metabolism up - muscle burns more calories.

Best of luck to you - don't give up!!
  • kristie778
    kristie778 Posts: 51
    Options
    That sounds frustrating. Are you tracking every bite? You say you eat normally, but if you're eating out at all, it's SO difficult to stay at 1230 calories - I know, because I am at that calorie level and it's really challenging. Many restaurant entrees easily have 1230 calories alone. So I guess what I'm saying is that eating "normal" in the real world while staying at 1230 is almost impossible.

Also, do you exercise? Obviously, you burn extra calories by exercising, but if you do weight/strength training, you build muscle, which we lose as we get older, and keeping muscle mass really helps keep your metabolism up - muscle burns more calories.

Best of luck to you - don't give up!!
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    sometimes that will happen you body will adjust did you change anything else ,if you exercise too you are toning muscle so it will cause a gain, try a tape measure instead of a scale , see if you are losing inches. and most of all dont give up because you have a setback or 2 thats what we are here for is to help
  • gregthegroove
    Options
    Losing weight and staying in shape is a lifelong battle. You gotta keep going and do it every single day. Eventually your body has no choice but to give up the pounds. I promise it will happen. You gotta NEVER give up!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that this is the only week that you have not lost 1 pound? Or that you have been at the same weight for 5 weeks? If it has only been a week with no movement, that would not be considered a plateau and just keep doing what you're doing. If you have stalled for 3-4 weeks, then adjustments will need to be made to either your food intake or your exercise. Don't get discouraged. You will see many, many weeks of little to no movement. What will get you through it is knowing that if you stick with it, you WILL reach your goal! This is not a race. Enjoy the journey. :)
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is healthy. I hate preachy people....but ...this has no end. It is just the way we eat now. One week or even one month doesn't matter if you are eating healthy.....I agree about eating out, it is HARD to stay within your calories. Check the company website of the restaurant you are going to to be sure of calorie count. Stay positive!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you are eating at least 1200 NET calories, meaning the 1200-something + ALL EXERCISE CALORIES. Eating below your net BMR (find it by clicking tools) for an extended period of time (5 weeks is extended, by the way), will cause your body to go catabolic and plateau, or even GAIN.

Here is a nice explanation: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

Also, you may find that 1200 is not enough. While it worked for a little while, over the course of time, 1200 cals a day is not enough for most people.

I am 5'4 133 lbs., and am eating 1800-2000 cals a day and I lose. For a year I did not know that I needed to eat my exercise calories and for that year I carried around 10 extra pounds I could not budge by eating 1200 cals a day, which, after my exercise, probably netted less than 500. I did not understand what I was doing to myself.

EDIT! I am 131.4 lbs. today :bigsmile:

blessings.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you are eating at least 1200 NET calories, meaning the 1200-something + ALL EXERCISE CALORIES. Eating below your net BMR (find it by clicking tools) for an extended period of time (5 weeks is extended, by the way), will cause your body to go catabolic and plateau, or even GAIN.

Here is a nice explanation: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

Also, you may find that 1200 is not enough. While it worked for a little while, over the course of time, 1200 cals a day is not enough for most people.

I am 5'4 133 lbs., and am eating 1800-2000 cals a day and I lose. For a year I did not know that I needed to eat my exercise calories and for that year I carried around 10 extra pounds I could not budge by eating 1200 cals a day, which, after my exercise, probably netted less than 500. I did not understand what I was doing to myself.

blessings.

Yep.... I was stuck 3-4 weeks because I was netting 1000 after exercise. Netting 1400 and losing again
  • sergeant771
    Options
    One within-reason 'cheat day' every 10 days or so is a good thing. First, it will fool the body into kicking up the metabolism instead of adjusting downward to operate on the new 'normal' calorie rate. And it give you a bit of a break and will help strengthen your resolve. Also, be patient as you are in for the long haul.

806322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • flossie1999
    Options
    Thank you all for your positive and encouraging replies. Most days I'm perhaps 30 or less calories below the 1230 I'm allowed. Due to arthritis I can't do much exercise so wouldn't gain much from adding extra calories for that. I agree, it's difficult to judge the calorific content of restaurant meals. I only ever have a gin & slimline tonic or small glass of wine with the meal (plus a few glasses of water), never a pudding and either chose a starter instead of a main meal. If I do have a main meal only it is either a plain steak or fish. Then the rest of the week it's strictly Diet Chef which is at least calorie counted and portion controlled already. As this is the first week when I haven't lost anything, I will stop panicking and see how it goes. Thanks again for all your help!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!