16,000 to 20,000 steps active or very?

Options
Help

Replies

• coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If say very since most people struggle to get to 10,000!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    nope - I'd put active - do you use a tracker like a fitbit or garmin if so synch it and allow it to overwrite your activity level

10,000 is around lightly active
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it wouldn't hurt to err on the side of the lower activity level, but overall 16,000 to 20,000 steps per day is not considered lightly active or even active. That's well into the 'very' active category.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035
  • lainy1979
    lainy1979 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Definitely very active. I try to do a lot of walking, 9.3 miles for me was 23,000 steps or thereabouts. I couldn't imagine doing that on a daily basis!!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I do about 20K steps a day, but I put in active. About 14K of those steps are from my regular every day activity and the other 6K or so is from purposeful activity.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    def very, i walk quite a bit on campus and to campus but only get 6000
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'd pick a lower activity level, try for a month, and see whether you lose more/less weight than you expect. I get between 15k-20k steps 5x a week and I have MFP set to sedentary. I add in the calories from my walks, but not from normal parts of my day. Based on numbers it looks like my TDEE/activity level is 'lightly active' even with those steps. So you'll have to experiment and see what works for you.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'd say very too- I've seen quite a few charts on activity level and steps-per-day, here's one site: http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Actually I've mistyped sorry

So for 5000 steps I hit sedentary .. 250 calories above BMR ...multiple of 1.2
    For 10000 steps I probably hit active ...800 calories above BMR ...multiple of 1.5.
    For 15000 probably very active ...an additional 1200 calories ...multiple of 1.8

I have to say though that my Fitbit is set up to have me 18 and 5'10 cos at the calories returned for my actual age and height I was slowly losing weight in maintenance

But when I was logging here I was still set to sedentary and allowed my Fitbit to overwrite it