Protein Help Needed

Options
I've been told that I need to increase my protein intake. I've increased foods in my daily recipes that are known to be high in protein such as peanut butter, beans, etc. I've considered using protein shakes, but I'm not sure. I'm lactose intolerant so I have to stay away from lactose. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• peejie
    peejie Posts: 43
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian? When I first started my new lifestyle*, I had trouble getting protein, because I was worried about eating meat. I bought raw almonds and tuna fish. Now I eat chicken and even steak. The calories aren't bad, just watch out for eating lots of bread. I have protein shake mix, but I rarely have to use it any more. If you are a vegetarian, beans and nuts are great. I like to make egg tacos with corn tortillas and salsa.

*As in watching what I eat, I am not a vegetarian.
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    salmon or mackerel; fish cakes..2 patties 44 gm of protein
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    From one dairy intolerant Tara to another ~ the protein shakes I love are Spiru-Teen Tri-Part protein (Rice, Pea & Soy....the Strawberry Shortcake is YUMMY), Olympian Labs Pea Protein (wonderful, can mix it with anything and by itself), and Rob Roy's egg white protein powder ~ all fabulous and a great way to sneak more protein in. I think you can find all 3 at GNC, I buy some at Bodybuilding.com

Good luck! :happy:
  • sea07224
    sea07224 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk 100% Whey Protein is great for people that are lactose intolerant! It taste great too! If you have a Cosco near you, you can get a large bag with 72 servings for about $37! It comes in Chocolate (which is the best for first time users) and Vanilla! I hope you enjoy! :smile:
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has a lot of protein. I mix it with peanut butter and it ends up with like 25 grams of protein. But any lean meat is good for protein.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Oops sorry, I read right over the lactose intolerant part! Sorry about that!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Protein Shots: 26 grams of whey isolate protein and no milk products.
  • tcpowell25
    tcpowell25 Posts: 292
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but I can't eat beef, so I had to settle for eating poultry and seafood. The tacos that you make sounds great though.
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but I can't eat beef, so I had to settle for eating poultry and seafood. The tacos that you make sounds great though.
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    Thanks I will try all the shakes.