Fitbit or Garmin?

Options
I'm interested in buying one of these and I'm not sure which is best. I do want one that records heart rate and sleeping patterns. Thank you.

Replies

• PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Garmin. As I've posted before, my FitBit HR gave me nothing but bad data, on every possible front. I wound up abandoning it for a Garmin (and that for a Polar w/ chest strap for EKG accurate HR during training), which I use in conjunction with a Band 2 for continuous Heart Heart otherwise.

Somebody, I think Garmin, is introducing a watch with optical hr, that can also be paired with a chest strap during exercise since most, if not all, of the optical devices lose their HR minds with increased exercise intensity.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Garmin

dcrainmaker.com has very detailed reviews.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Garmin. Fitbits seem kind of pointless to me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Fitbit! They have great customer service!
  • libby0907
    libby0907 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit for all of a week. It wouldn't stay synced to my phone and became pointless. Like others have said it didn't track my activity accurately
  • RobertCotton
    RobertCotton Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The new Garmin that is being released on May 2nd has an optical HR but will also allow you to sync it with a chest band for more accurate data. I actually dont like the feel of the chest band, so I am going to pair it with the scosche armband hrm. The new Garmin also has a builtin stand alone gps, great for cycling.
  • wally2183
    wally2183 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    So may 2ND is around the corner. I need one too
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like my Garmin the big selling points for me were 1) I don't have to take it off to charge it 2)I can wear it in pools/showers no problem 3) (vanity reason) lots of different bands to swap in and out. I recently got HRM that I'm going to sync with it......Only down side so far is occasional issues sinking steps with MFP
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR and love it! The only downside is taking it off to charge it, but I just do that while I'm in the shower, since I don't wear it in the shower anyway. With my Fitbit and MFP synced, I don't have to record exercise into MFP and don't have to record food into Fitbit. It is so easy and seamless. I have no complaints.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Garmin is best if you do any type of exercise beyond walking; Fitbit is best for people who pretty much only walk and benefit from a big social network for walking.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I actually dont like the feel of the chest band, so I am going to pair it with the scosche armband hrm.
    I LOVE my Scosche arm band! I wear it just above my elbow and it gives very accurate and consistent readings.

• ojoman
    ojoman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin for running and cycling, paired with a HRM. When walking about, I use the phone version of Fitibt. However, I could be tempted by a Garmin activity monitor as I do like gadgets.

Although Garmin Connect is now decent, and imports data from MFP and Fitbit, I use Sporttracks for the athletics stuff.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP3. It tracks steps, and I REALLY like it for sleep tracking. The app is also neat and has something called a "smart coach" that will look for trends in your behavior and make suggestions to improve sleep/activity etc.

But I use a Garmin GPS watch (with chest strap) when I run. Most of the wrist based sensors are not good at picking up your HR during activity. But for walking, you don't really need it.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one which has been great for my walking activity but is horrible lately at syncing with my phone. As I become more active with the warmer spring weather, I am finding it harder to find the correct mfp exercise entries to log my activities... so am on the lookout for an alternative with an hr monitor. A co-worker has a Garmin and loves it, so I am watching this thread to see if I can get a few more opinions as well :)