Protein

Options
10ssmith
10ssmith Posts: 33 Member
Is it normal after a workout to just crave protein ... ?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Lots of people get hungry after a workout. If you're craving something and it meets your goals, go for it.
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It is normal to crave protein after a workout. That is why many people have protein shakes post workout.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    10ssmith wrote: »
    Is it normal after a workout to just crave protein ... ?

Of course! A lot of fitness fanatics (including myself) eat a protein bar or shake within 30-minutes post work out to keep those muscles fed!
  • 10ssmith
    10ssmith Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Should I be drinking a protein shake? Or can I just stick with eating my baked tilapia and baked skinless boneless chicken breast?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Should I be drinking a protein shake? Or can I just stick with eating my baked tilapia and baked skinless boneless chicken breast?

protein shakes are just supplements to help you hit your targets if you have difficulty doing so with food. there's nothing magical about them.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

The food is fine.
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You're lucky. I never have an appetite after a workout and that's the best time to consume carbs Protein and Carbs
  • markag1990
    markag1990 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I find getting carbs in after a workout is best for me. As well as protein of course.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Kr15by wrote: »
    You're lucky. I never have an appetite after a workout and that's the best time to consume carbs Protein and Carbs

Not necessarily. Based on digestion rates, as long as you have some protein and carbs, moderately close to a workout, you are fine. Timing of nutrients is pretty much not applicable to like 99% of people. It really only matters to elite athletes, but even the more current research is suggesting more research is needed.

I just eat dinner after a workout.