Tired of being fat and failing

Options
SeanW79
SeanW79 Posts: 81 Member
I am 37 and tired. I have tried to lose weight only to lose some then go back to my bad habits. My knees hurt, I get tired easily, and I am sick of paying extra for fat clothes.

I am just sick of trying and failing but apparently not sick enough to make it work. :(

I weighed in this morning at 392 lbs.

Replies

• Fight_with_discipline
    Options
    Stay positive, try again and take it slow, for me the 7th (maybe?) time is the charm (i hope) I don't have that much to lose but i think i might know some reasons for failure, for me it is basically trying to lose weight too fast, and then when I'm starting to be happy about my weight I stop logging and gain the weight I lost.

So take it easy, find other things to focus on rather than only calories, set up macronutrient goals, I've just started to try and lower my calories from added sugar (based on "That sugar film") and start lifting weights, taking walks every day, they don't have to be over an hour long, just whatever works for you and makes you feel that you've accomplished something today.

If you like games I've recently discovered Habitica, it's a browser based game with phone apps that holds you accountable for different habits you may want to add/change/remove and the levelling and rpg system makes you accountable for what habits you do or don't do, it's a fun way to add some accountability.

But just don't give up, keep logging, keep measuring everything and just accept that this is the way it has to be!
    And since you've previously lost some wieght, the next time is always easier!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You got this dude. MFP is good because it helps you lose weight and doesn't restrict whole categories of food. I've been on here for awhile. The first 4 months I dropped 35lbs.

Just eat at the amount of calories it tells you to eat daily. Don't worry about stuff like sugar, carbs, etc. (unless your doctor told you to).

The hardest part of counting calories is figuring out what will keep you full and what will keep you happy and balancing those things out. I try to eat nutrient dense, lower calorie foods at meals so I have enough left for treats. (Like beer).

Don't worry so much about exercise in the beginning. You'll hear a bunch of people on here tell you that exercise is for health and diet is for losing weight. I firmly believe that to be true. I lost the bulk of my weight without exercising at all. The good thing about exercise is that it burns calories that you then get to eat. I run, I beer.

Feel free to send me a friend request if you like. I'm also 37 and still have about 40lbs to go.
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's all about being mentally strong

Get on a program and when you feel yourself slipping say " they can't change me" and stick to it
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    "They" in this case is any outside influence that drags you down
  • groetzinger659
    groetzinger659 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I found it helpful to log exactly what I ate.

Its only been a week of food logging but I see now where I can make some changes.

I also try to move around more instead of not doing anything. We all didn't get here overnight..slow and steady wins the race always
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    All you can do is take it one week, one day, and one meal at a time. It's hard in the beginning. Every day you make better choices gets easier. I am here to tell you that sticking with it, even when you don't want to, is SO WORTH IT. You will start to feel more comfortable and every day life becomes easier.

I am here for you!
    Good luck. :smile:
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Be strong... be patient...get educated... balance your diet and start drinking plenty of water... stop eating prepared food...packaged food... stop waiting for a miracle "cure" or for someone to step up and motivate you. This is your life... YOU have designed it to look the way it currently does... SO... the renovation begins today... stop asking why... stop looking at the problem and start working on the solution... and lastly... BE honest with yourself... accept your role... now man up and get it done
  • Melisandray
    Melisandray Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I found the last time I did this, the encouragement from the people from this site was, overall, what really kept me going. Having support is essential for this journey. Good luck!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    ((((good vibes)))) - Start small. Walk every day, a little further each day. Maybe knock out soda/sugary drinks to begin with. Those two things will get you rolling along. It's not a race, slow and steady is the way to go - and that's usually what makes weight loss stick. Finding a way to do it at a slower pace so that you can keep it off. Best of luck!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    What worked for me is that this is not a diet, its a lifestyle change. You need to change what you eat and how much. I ditched the calorie dense foods like fries, chips, potatoes with evening meals and eat lighter portions with lots of produce. Don't go back to these foods, ever. Just go for the slight deficit daily and it will come. I also use exercise to allow me to eat more because I don't do the starvation thing. It was lots of fun getting smaller clothes.
  • SeanW79
    SeanW79 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement! This means a lot. I can tell you all really try to support each other and I look forward to posting here again. Thanks again!
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi Sean, Im back on MFP again as it has worked for me in the past and I have a lot of weight to lose also, im currently 234lbs, like you I feel like a failure and you summed it up perfectly with feeling tired and hating buying fat clothes, so do I, Im also scared of losing weight and putting it back on again, in addition to that I have a mental health disability which makes me introverted and isolated, despite having a wonderful husband and children. |This is the first time ive ever disclosed this to anyone on a public forum and Im inspired by your honest and courageous post, please add me, if I could find my way around the site I would send a friend request but this is my first day back and im a bit lost atm
  • Rom3oJuli3tt
    Rom3oJuli3tt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One day at a time my man.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    it takes alot of work, and sadly you wont always be "motivated" and it takes alot of determination. I works hard fo 2 years and was almost to my goal, then lost all motivation and gained everything back. Im on the road back to where i once was, and its alot of work. I work full time, was working a second part time job up until last week, I have 4 kids, and im very active for 2 of their cub scout dens. i do almost all the cooking and house hold chores, and it makes it very hard to work out, but i want to reach my goals, so i make it work. and you can too.

drink alot of water, it will help keep you full. all 0 calorie flavoring to it if needed
    add veggies to everything, and substitute veggies where you can (i recently discovered zoodles, they are great pasta alternative)
    using a smaller plate helps me eat less
    getting a fitbit helped me alot, i love reaching my step goal
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Find something you can live with. No fad diets, no crash diets, no quick fixes. It's hard to beat that into our heads, but sometimes we have to. For ME, I'm finding lower carbs to be easier and more realistic to stick with in the long run. That said, I do have carbs. I'm not in the under 20 club or anything extreme. I set a healthy amount for me, and I stick to a calorie deficit....and equally as important, I'm moving. It may not be a lot to some, but compared to doing nothing before, it's helping. A LOT.
  • JoCJo2016
    JoCJo2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    All the best on your journey Sean. Just take it one day at a time and set small realistic goals. Add me if you want more support. Jo :)
  • Brolivia3D
    Brolivia3D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One day at a time! It's little changes that'll add up over time. Easier said than done, I know, I've been gaining and losing the same weight for years. We can do this. I'm sure you've heard all this before, but it'll be a lifestyle change and you can totally do it :) One day will turn into a week which will turn into a month, so on and so forth!