Ideas for a night cap snack?

Options
so I am pretty busy throughout the day, so I always end up with some unplanned calories at the end of the day even after dinner and dessert. So for around 200-400 calories, do you guys have any snack ideas before bed? I prefer sweet things but I'm open to everything! I like voluminous food, but no fruits or veg cause I have way too much throughout the day. Frankly I just want a treat but I'm all out of inspiration! What do your night caps looks like?

Replies

• helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I always save calories for the evening as I know I'll get peckish for a snack. I have toast with almond butter, or boiled egg with bread, oat cakes with almond butter, a small sandwich, maybe make your own healthy pizza, or make your own ice cream with frozen banana cacao and other fruits and nuts.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    WINE.

...but as for healthy stuff, I like to keep some bacon or cuts of sharp cheddar in the fridge to snack on. I'm also a popcorn demon, skinnypop's white cheddar flavour is a lot of popcorn for a few calories and a good taste.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have greek yogurt in the evening as my "dessert."
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    kirakinss wrote: »
    so I am pretty busy throughout the day, so I always end up with some unplanned calories at the end of the day even after dinner and dessert. So for around 200-400 calories, do you guys have any snack ideas before bed? I prefer sweet things but I'm open to everything! I like voluminous food, but no fruits or veg cause I have way too much throughout the day. Frankly I just want a treat but I'm all out of inspiration! What do your night caps looks like?

You must be very unusual since only about 1 out of 10 Americans gets the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables. If you're hitting the 2-4 servings of fruit and 3-5 of veggies then go for some of the suggestions given.

If not may want to look at incorporating some more fruits and veggies as snacks.

Best of luck.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    kirakinss wrote: »

I plan 100-300 calories for snacks usually. Popcorn is probably my favorite snack.
    There are a lot of things that are 400 calories or less.
    banana with peanut butter, cottage cheese, yogurt, sandwich, toast, nuts, trail mix, chips and salsa or hummus, 100-200 g vanilla ice cream, hard boiled egg/deviled egg, cheese and crackers, peanut butter and crackers, chocolate, a couple of cookies, cup of hot chocolate, pudding, cereal, granola bar
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Water.
  • BeastofBodmin
    BeastofBodmin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    2 cans of tuna,2 tsp's of olive oil.
  • AnneCoolbreze
    AnneCoolbreze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are some pretty good "desserts" that incorporate protein. I saw a chocolate lava cake recipe that was pretty good. I also like greek yogurt with honey and nuts.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,992 Member
    Options
    I often have the Chobani Flips for an evening snack. They are sweet plus have a good amount of protien so that's a win-win for me. I also like an occasional glass of wine, margarita or an Irish coffee in the evening.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    1 egg, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1-2tbs unsweetened cocoa powder. Mix in a mug and microwave for 45 seconds or so. I top mine with a little cool whip or some mini chocolate chips.
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Air
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Reeses peanut butter cups.
  • mrvikingman
    mrvikingman Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I like greek yogurt with/without fruit at night. Also cottage cheese.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The idea that you wouldn't snack on fruit because you've had too much is silly IMO. Unless you're targetting other nutrient goals (ie- you want a higher protein snack because you've only had like 30g or something), then sure. If you're passing up fruit in favor of crap (ie chocolate or refined sugars like chips or bagels) then you should feel good about eating more fruit.

I'm not saying you have to have fruit btw; just that you shouldn't limit it. I'm fairly certain the evidence suggests that fruit in its whole form doesn't have a very obtainable "limit"
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Frozen greek yogurt. One of my favs. I switch flavors regularly. I tend to stir it occasionally for a better consistency. I also like to have popcorn. It's a sweet tooth things for me mostly though.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I like late night breakfast. My go-to is a toasted english muffin with cream cheese and a hard boiled egg. Totally makes me full for 260 calories.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love sharp, aged white cheddar cheese. If I have extra cals at the end of the day I'll have an ounce or two of my favorites (Beecher's and Cougar Gold) plus a couple whole grain crackers. Yummy!
  • MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I save calories. Most nights it's a mini-bag of plain m&m's (70 calories) and an orange. If I am really hungry, a bowl of cereal.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Ice cream!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'd be all over cheese and crackers or chips and salsa for 300-400 calories. And for lighter days, a fudge pop and popcorn.

English muffin with peanut butter or cream cheese and jelly.

Rice cakes or a toasted pita with cheese and salsa.

Gingersnap cookies.

Trail mix with chocolate or pistachios.

Apple slices with a little peanut butter and a sprinkle of chocolate chips if you can handle another apple.