+5lb -5lb

Options
Just wondering if anyone else on here can fluctuate 5 lbs in a day? I find it hard to determine if I've actually lost any weight because of this. I weigh myself in the morning, so should I go by that weight? I'd like to show on my ticker that I've made some progress but I don't want to turn around and deduct weight a few days later. What should I do?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would just do it once or twice a month. Don't obsess with the scale.
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yep your weight can fluctuate between +1 and +6 pounds A DAY!!!! So pick one day of the week to be your weigh in day and try not to weigh yourself any other days!!! It's hard - I know!!!!!! My weigh in day is Friday and I always weigh in in the morning! I do body tests on Wii Fit and it makes you weigh yourself every time you do it - so I can see how my weight goes up and down and up and down.....I just don't let it frustrate me and only take my actual "weigh in" day weight into account!!! Good luck!!
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I generally jump on the scales every morning, after going to the toilet but before anything to eat or drink. I only record my weight on a Sunday morning though as this is my weigh in day.

Throughout the week my weight goes up and down but I know this is going to happen so it doesn't discourage me - if you are at risk of being disheartened by a fluctuating reading then just get on the once every week!! Make sure its the same time of day
  • mezzoforteish
    Options
    Your weight is only accurate first thing in the morning after you've used the bathroom, cause at night you have extra weight from water/food and just natural body processes you can't control
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Go by the weight in the morning after you use the facilities but before you eat or drink anything.

The weight at the end of the day varies based on when you last ate, what you ate, whether you've exercise, whether you're retaining water, etc.

Weighing once a week is best, but I admit I do it every morning and only 'count' it once a week.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    yeah, my weight will fluctuate about 5 lbs a day up or down. It all depends when I weight myself. If I have alot of water, then it's more, if I just got down doing a sweaty workout, then it's down more. I agree, it's better to take your official weight for this site only once a week. And I heard it's better still to go by measurements. (how loose your cloths are fitting)
  • ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    Good point- don't obsess- about it, pick that one day at the same time ( morning is best) and go from there-
    one of the best and funnest measures is start picking out clothes in your closet you didn't used to fit it and see the difference!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Yep. I used to weigh in morning, afternoon and night (and did it for awhile). I did it not too become too obsessive about my weight - but I did it to learn what was "normal" when it came to my weight and fluctuations.

I can easily go up 5lbs or even down 5lbs through the day - depending on how much I've eaten, how much water, etc.

The only weight I count is the one in the morning after I've gone pee and before I've eaten breakfast.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I get on it every morning, that is the best time to weigh yourself, but I am working on trying to only get on it once a week, cause i am obsessing so bad,
    like today for example i am afraid to enjoy myself and have a few beers and i barely touched anything at my cousins baby shower because i haven't lost any weight in 5 days, (i have been fluctuating between the same 2 lbs)
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    I guess I am obsessed with the scale. I want to know what works daily. My body gains about 3 pounds from morning to night. I weigh myself when I get up, when I get home from work, and when I go to bed. I know what I will weigh the next day just by looking at my weight the night before. If you eat clean and drink your water, you will not fluctuate very much. It is if you eat out of the ordinary, bad foods, don't drink water causing your body to retain the water that causes your weight to fluctuate a lot.

I would rather not wait a full week before I know my results. If I notice my weight is beginning to gain and I want to lose, I make adjustments the next day to get it back on track.

I am all for obsessed weighers!
  • Postlethwaite
    Postlethwaite Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate that much pretty easily, especially if I don't watch my sodium, or in the hottest part of the summer. I tend to try for weigh ins once every three weeks or so, or every second week when I am able. As long as the general trend is downward overall, I am happy.
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Oh yea i have weighed myself in the morning and at night before bed just to see the difference. Its best to only weigh like everyone says in the morning and I weigh in once a week. Thats when you normally see some little results. I think its kind of a bad ida to do it everyday some days will just let you down. Good luck to you.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Don't obsess - once a week at roughly the same time of day if possible mornings. Don't let the number on the scale define you and you progress!
  • tc_2011
    tc_2011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info everyone. I will try the once a week thing in the morning and see how that goes :o)