Gluten free breakfast that doesn't involve eggs?

Options
13»

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Feel free to ignore me, but have you been diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance or was it more of a clinical diagnosis? I only ask because often times people with an H. Pylori infection think it is gastritis or a lactose intolerance because the symptoms present similarly.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It's gastritis, but I've given up dairy completely and gluten. I will have more testing done in two weeks, but my insurance is in a weird transition phase so I have to wait. Way back when I was tested for food allergies and none were present.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Cheerios are gluten free and fairly bland. You can have it with almond milk or coconutmilk if you are avoiding dairy. I usually cycle between cheerios, a yogurt smoothie, or eggs for breakfast. I eat gluten free and my diary is open if you want to peek. I also had issues with gastritis and GERD. Dark chocolate triggers it for me big time.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Cheerios are gluten free and fairly bland. You can have it with almond milk or coconutmilk if you are avoiding dairy. I usually cycle between cheerios, a yogurt smoothie, or eggs for breakfast. I eat gluten free and my diary is open if you want to peek. I also had issues with gastritis and GERD. Dark chocolate triggers it for me big time.

Actually, they're not. The supply of oats contain small amounts of wheat, rye and barley that are inadvertently introduced at the farm or during transportation which prevents the product from being labeled Gluten-Free which is a huge problem for someone with celiacs. Also a percentage of people with celiacs can't even have true gluten free oats.
  • californiansun
    Options

Thank you! I'll take a look, I eat pretty bland now, trying new foods one day at a time. Yogurt was a no go for me. I am doing a lot better, but I'm scared to eat spices, Mexican food, etc.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    this is yummy but not bland.

https://pinterest.com/pin/5840674493145988/
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have turkey bacon, a handful of almonds, and coconut water for breakfast.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Actually, they're not. The supply of oats contain small amounts of wheat, rye and barley that are inadvertently introduced at the farm or during transportation which prevents the product from being labeled Gluten-Free which is a huge problem for someone with celiacs. Also a percentage of people with celiacs can't even have true gluten free oats.

You are right, I should have specified that they are not GF-certified for celiacs. I am gluten-sensitive, not celiac, and am not 100% militant about it as far as only eating certified GF foods. I wonder if I am actually eating enough unintentional gluten to be affected by it. I stopped eating it a few years ago due to fatigue and stomach issues, and found that I couldn't reintroduce it after the trial because the symptoms came back so badly.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Buckwheat with cashew milk, sugar, raspberries and raisins re-hydrated in raspberry juice.
    Ham sandwich made with gluten free bread
    Rice pudding made with coconut milk
    Sausage and white beans
    Any leftovers from yesterday
    Something I loved having for breakfast as a child: a carrot and a green apple, grated on a large grater then mixed with honey (not too much just enough to give flavor else it would taste too sweet), raisins, walnuts and an orange, half juiced half diced. Sounds weird but it's actually pretty good.
    If all else fails: dark chocolate and a cup of black coffee does it for me when I don't feel like preparing anything
  • californiansun
    Options
    Buckwheat with cashew milk, sugar, raspberries and raisins re-hydrated in raspberry juice.
    Sausage and white beans
    Something I loved having for breakfast as a child: a carrot and a green apple, grated on a large grater then mixed with honey (not too much just enough to give flavor else it would taste too sweet), raisins, walnuts and an orange, half juiced half diced. Sounds weird but it's actually pretty good.
    If all else fails: dark chocolate and a cup of black coffee does it for me when I don't feel like preparing anything

Thank you so much!! I haven't tried coconut milk yet, just rice milk. But coconut water HURTS me, so I'm scared with the milk.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Sausage and white beans

Thank you so much!! I haven't tried coconut milk yet, just rice milk. But coconut water HURTS me, so I'm scared with the milk.

Better not to risk it then. Substitute your choice of milk. I just tried it with a mix of dairy milk and coconut milk (the heavy creamy kind) and the coconut gave it an extraordinary flavor. If you are allergic any milk should do.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Sausage and white beans

Better not to risk it then. Substitute your choice of milk. I just tried it with a mix of dairy milk and coconut milk (the heavy creamy kind) and the coconut gave it an extraordinary flavor. If you are allergic any milk should do.

Is it the type you buy in a can? I'll give it a go if I can buy a small quantity. I love coconut milk so I hope I can eat it. Lol
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've been fooling around with oatmeal turned into flour, since I'm not crazy about oatmeal texture. Gluten free oatmeal flour mixed with water and various spices makes for a nice crepe/pancake/tortilla option. I've toss all sorts of things into this mixture, including dried fruits, coconut flakes, tiny slices of deli meat, PB2 ... all sorts of things.

Last week, on an impulse, I bought chickpea flour and will be experimenting with combos of it and the oat flour.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Sausage and white beans

Is it the type you buy in a can? I'll give it a go if I can buy a small quantity. I love coconut milk so I hope I can eat it. Lol

Yes. Here it's available in cans of 2 oz and up. You would need to mix it with rice milk or something, otherwise it would cost you way too many calories and would probably make the pudding too thick. "real" coconut milk has a lot of calories, unlike its watery diet counterpart.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Make a cinnamon quinoa bake and have it for the whole week. I also do GF oatmeal and add peanut butter and berries. "Overnight oats" is super simple and you can add so many different things. Many times I will eat whatever we had for supper, such as baked chicken fajitas, roasted veggies, baked chicken and quinoa. We do eat quite a bit of quinoa in many different forms and flavors since it takes on whatever you put in - like rice. There are also GF granolas - however, I find them high in calories and it just doesn't stick with me.
  • californiansun
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    I've been fooling around with oatmeal turned into flour, since I'm not crazy about oatmeal texture. Gluten free oatmeal flour mixed with water and various spices makes for a nice crepe/pancake/tortilla option. I've toss all sorts of things into this mixture, including dried fruits, coconut flakes, tiny slices of deli meat, PB2 ... all sorts of things.

Last week, on an impulse, I bought chickpea flour and will be experimenting with combos of it and the oat flour.

Great idea!
    Sausage and white beans

Yes. Here it's available in cans of 2 oz and up. You would need to mix it with rice milk or something, otherwise it would cost you way too many calories and would probably make the pudding too thick. "real" coconut milk has a lot of calories, unlike its watery diet counterpart.

Yeah it's pretty caloric. I can't eat a lot of food, maybe 800-1000 calories a day. It's too hard to eat a lot with my gastritis, so maybe the calories would be welcomed. lol
  • californiansun
    Options
    GYATagain wrote: »
    Make a cinnamon quinoa bake and have it for the whole week. I also do GF oatmeal and add peanut butter and berries. "Overnight oats" is super simple and you can add so many different things. Many times I will eat whatever we had for supper, such as baked chicken fajitas, roasted veggies, baked chicken and quinoa. We do eat quite a bit of quinoa in many different forms and flavors since it takes on whatever you put in - like rice. There are also GF granolas - however, I find them high in calories and it just doesn't stick with me.

Thanks so much! Great ideas.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bobs red mill gluten free old fashioned rolled oats are awesome, especially with some banana, bit of brown sugar and sliced almonds. Pancakes made with almond flour. Silk soy yogurt, sausage, bacon, ect.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Bobs red mill gluten free old fashioned rolled oats are awesome, especially with some banana, bit of brown sugar and sliced almonds. Pancakes made with almond flour. Silk soy yogurt, sausage, bacon, ect.

I wish I could edit this, I have gastritis so things like sausage and bacon don't work. :( but thanks for the good ideas!